Monday, December 15, 2014

wood grain wrapping paper

I love creating handmade wrapping paper and this year I wanted to create some natural wrapping inspired by the outdoors. I decided to carve a large stamp that I could use to create the look of a wood grain.

My favorite supplies for making handmade stamps are craft foam and a wood burning tool. The wood burning tool will actually burn into the surface of the craft foam. It is a fast and easy way to carve stamps that can be used on a variety of surfaces. 

I carved a wood grain inspired pattern into the surface.

NOTE: carving blocks, scratch foam, wood blocks, gelli plate will all work for this project. You pretty much just need a technique that will transfer an impression of your pattern to your paper.

Next, I inked up my stamp and repeated the design on butcher paper and brown paper.

I just love how simple and pretty this pattern is! 


Looking for more wrapping ideas?



9 comments:

Effie said...

Why not glue the craft foam around an old brayer... Make your own roller..
Loving the woodgrain.

Amanda T. said...

I love that! Thanks for such a great idea!

Alisa Burke said...

As much as I love glueing texture and even small pieces of carved craft foam to brayers and rolling pins I haven't had the best luck getting larger pieces of the foam to stay put!

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

What a nice idea, Alisa...You could do this on plain brown bag gift bags from the dollar store!
This is so IN!

mizdarlin said...

A nice idea, but frankly don't know how safe it is inhaling the fumes from the melting craft foam...

alisa burke said...

I always carve foam outside or wear a mask when carving :)

Jo Murray said...

THANK YOU!!!! A plethora of FABULOUS tips.

Rebecca Pelletier said...

You amaze me. I'm always inspired by your creativity. Now if I just had time for all the ideas you caused to race around in my head.

Rebecca Pelletier said...

You amaze me. I'm always inspired by your creativity. Now if I just had time for all the ideas you caused to race around in my head.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails