Tuesday, December 09, 2014

a peek inside my art journal

I spent  A LOT of time sketching but I probably spend just as much time working in an art journal. For me there is really a fine line between an art journal and a sketchbook. For my sketching process I limit my supplies- I use all an purpose paper sketchbook, a pen and watercolors. I like to keep my sketching supplies simple so that I can take them on the go.

I use an art journal (that typically has heavy duty paper like watercolor paper) to explore all kinds of mixed media techniques like painting, collage, sewing (with paper), stamping, doodling, drawing and printmaking. My art journal is a small and accessible place for me to practice, explore and brainstorm all kinds of techniques.

There are all kinds of at journaling supplies but these are what I tend to use most-

1. While I am not picky about the sketchbooks that I use, I am particular about my art journals only because I use a lot of paint and wet media which means I need paper that will hold up to all my layers and techniques. I prefer watercolor paper or bristol paper because it is nice and thick and holds up well when using paint. 

2. I really like using matte acrylic paint when I am painting in an art journal because the pages, once closed, won't stick together (sometimes they will when using acrylic paint that has a gloss).

3. I always keep a glue stick around so I can quickly glue collage ephemera or photos to pages of my art journal. 

4. I spend a lot of time drawing and doodling over the top of my painted journal pages so I always have a good collection of permanent pens and markers on hand. 

5. When I am creating painted backgrounds in my art journal I tend to reach for my brayer before a paint brush- I love the look of messy color rolled all over the surface of a page.

6. Paint pens, especially white ones are one of my favorite tools to use when I am drawing or doodling over the top of dark backgrounds. 

7. I will use any kind of tape (washi tape, masking tape, scotch tape, etc) to attached photos and collage ephemera to my pages. Often my art journal becomes a place to store ideas which means a lot of pages have little notes, ideas, pieces of doodles and photos attached to the surface.

8. I use watercolors all the time and even though I use a lot of acrylic paint in my art journal pages, I also like to use watercolors to add color to doodles and drawings.

p.s. I've got another batch of handmade art journals in the shop HERE!

13 comments:

dawn said...

LOVE THIS!! It's nice to see you doing art journaling along with your sketch books, both are amazing and gorgeous!! Hoping to find one of these in my stocking this year, if not I will come get one for myself after Christmas, keep making them please.

Helmi said...

Looks great, thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

everything you do is art....amazing how a messy page looks wonderful when it's in your hands

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

A NICE post!
I like the vibrant colors with the black, SO HaPPy!

Le petit monde de Louison said...

So beautiful!!
I did not see if there were winners for the giveaway for your new stamps^^

Unknown said...

I just love everything about all you do!

Wendy @ the Late Start Studio said...

Thanks for this . . . it's always interesting to see what others use most.

CraftyHope said...

I've just gotten into art journaling in the last couple of months and am still very much in that voyeur stage when I want to see what's in others and know what they use, so this post rocks my world! Of course, I've over-collected supplies already. I like the idea of having a few go-tos for traveling and your selections seem to cover the bases well.
I also really like the idea of having a separate, smaller book to keep with you for ideas/inspiration. Now if I could only find one the right size to keep in my purse with some select supplies. Thanks so much for all the ideas!

Dawn said...

I found this page on Pinterest and am so thankful you took the time to put it together! Lovely lovely stuff! I will be spending some time on this post and even more on your site. :)

Unknown said...

Love your pages and photos... so much inspiration! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Wau

Hannah Sullivan said...

Strictly speaking, I’m a freelance writer by trade, but I always keep a notebook close by, in which I write, sketch and doodle to record my ideas. Acrylic and watercolour might be beyond me, but I really like the idea of adding visual elements, such as collage bits and pieces and photographs.

Hannah Sullivan @ Go Arty

Meghan aka Firebonnet said...

glad I found you! just starting with get messy art journaling and you look like a tremendous resource! oooo and your coloring book... I'm drooling.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails