Thursday, May 19, 2011

easy printing on fabric

IMG_0366
I have been working on a number of sewing projects, one being an art quilt to hang on the wall. And since I typically never buy printed fabric and instead make my own, I set out to create some unique quilt squares with lots of texture.


IMG_0337
I am always trying to find new and different ways to create pattern and texture on the surface of fabric and paper and using simple materials is my favorite way! If you haven't heard of scratch foam then you are missing out! It is basically a thin piece of soft styrofoam that can be scratched and "carved" into with simple tools. Made for kids but perfect to use in simple surface design projects when you are looking to transfer pattern and create texture. (a piece of regular recycled styrofoam could also work)


IMG_0339
I started by cutting out squares of scratch foam in the size of the squares that I want to quilt with.

Next I started drawing into the surface of with a chop stick- but you could use tooth picks, pens pencils or anything with a point.


IMG_0341
I covered the entire surface of the scratch foam with my drawing (or doodle).


IMG_0346
I created a few different surfaces with different designs.


IMG_0347
Next, I grabbed a variety of Tulip Soft Fabric Paint- one of my favorite products to use when painting or printing on fabric- lots of fabulous colors to choose from and the best part is no heat setting required!


IMG_0348
I covered the scratch foam with an even layer of fabric paint,


IMG_0349
flipped the foam over and pressed down firmly onto the surface of plain white fabric.


IMG_0361
and then pulled the scratch foam plate from fabric to reveal my design.

Note- this technique of printing pattern with the scratch foam is not going to get you perfect clean design every time (your should use block prints, stamps or event silkscreen if you want clean designs)- in fact each printing gives you something a little different and each and every print reveals some interesting and wonderful texture!


IMG_0371
I printed all my different squares


IMG_0354
and got lots of unique texture and pattern.


IMG_0357
IMG_0364
I covered the surface of about 1-2 yards of fabric.


IMG_0369
Last, I cut out each square in preparation for designing my art quilt which will be coming soon :)


IMG_0365

alisa-burke

30 comments:

Jenny Petricek said...

Alisa, what a fabulous technique for creating stamps! This looks incredibly easy, and I hope to try it in my paper collages soon!

pigwidget said...

And for an alternative (and a recyling one) is to use the bottoms of styrofoam meat trays. Until you mentioned the link I thought that was the only way of getting hold of it - neat! Love your simple-effective fabric prints - that blue is so gorgeously summery :)

mama bleu said...

Your idea is so inspiring. I love the simplicity of it. I can't wait to see the finished quilt!

menatra said...

What a great idea! You can make such a unique quilt this way. Thanks for letting us know what you are doing with all the different painted fabric that you have been creating.

Cmichaudart said...

thanks for sharing...great ideas here; can't wait to see final quilt.

Kay said...

super fun..I have used styrofoam picnic plates before..I can't wait to see the finished product!

Alex {Things That Sparkle} said...

What an incredible idea, I love it. It turns out amazing!! Happy to have found your blog

Kathryn Hansen said...

oh...very cool texture and design...can hardly wait to see the entire quilt done! with your sewing style it should be extremely unique!!

VixeninTraining said...

Very inspiring, I have never heard of this technique before and because of it just came up with a great outfit idea! Thanks Alisa!

Mechelle said...

Alisa you are such an inspiration! Thanks for sharing.

susan in seattle said...

I just did some fabric printing with Scratch Foam and it was realllly fun. I used Pebeo Setacolor transparent paints and while you do have to heat set, I really like the colors they have! Love your designs on this!

Virginia said...

Never heard of scratch foam will have to keep my eye open for it, wonder if it's got a different name over here? Loving the printing and the gorgeous patterns and colours - amazing!

JessiVille said...

Wow! Love this Alisa! Can't wait to see the finished quilt. Thank you for sharing this with us! Jessi xox

se7en said...

Just love your stamps!!!

ArtfulLee Designed said...

I just love this idea and am thinking about all the things I could recycle using this technique.
Lee:)

Rebecca Aguilar said...

You do some amazing work. Thank you very much for sharing. I hope to profile you on my blog "The Best Crafters."

www.thebestcrafters.blogspot.com

Nancy Standlee said...

Thanks for telling me about scratch foam.

Donna Babylon said...

I am going to try this with gel printing. Thanks for the idea. I will let you know how it turns out.

Marci said...

I would love to see the quilt too!
Love love love this idea, I will definitely use it in my scrapbooking projects, thanks you!!!

Carmen said...

What type of fabric do you use?

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much you have given the great blogs site by which we can get more advantage.
this site

mayazoe said...

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing abilities has inspired me to start my own BlogEngine blog now. Really the blogging is spreading its wings rapidly. Your write up is a fine example of it.
macys black friday deals

Block beauty said...

Great article, It's one of the best content in your site. I really impressed the post. Good work keep it up. Thanks for sharing the wonderful post.
Block Printing in Bangalore| Block printing on cloth

Tasty Destination said...

Your tutorial is an awesome inspiration! Many thanks for sharing. bridal lace fabric

Block beauty said...

The art of Indian block print fabric is a labor-intensive,painstaking process that has survived from ancient times to the present because of the beauty of the handmade products. Block Printing on Cloth|Block Printing in Bangalore

Unknown said...

Very nice piece of art work, Very creative, Thank you so much for sharing. I really like your post. Its worth to visit here.
point of sale materials printing

Virasat Store said...

Wonderful Blog Design. Thanks for Sharing this Blog Post!

Block Print Bedsheets in Jaipur | Block Printing Jaipur

Rajdeep Clothing Company - Digital Textile Printing,T-Shirt Printer & screen printing etc in Tirupur,India said...

Your post is just outstanding! thanks for such a post,its really going great and great work Tshirt Manufacturer Tirupur | Rajdeep Clothing Company | Digital Printing Tshirts | Tshirt Photoprint

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for sharing your blog! great ideas that support what I'm trying to achieve. It's my first time trying printmaking using froth paper, so far so good👍 I would like to try fabric as you make it seem easy.

brushyourideas said...

What a great idea! You can make such a unique quilt this way. T-shirt Design Software

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails