Wednesday, December 17, 2014

peace wreath

A long time ago, I had a job making wreaths during the holidays. I learned really fast that making your own wreath from greenery (any kind of greenery is super easy). Every year I like to make all kinds of wreaths and this year I wanted to make a big green peace wreath but instead of all the typical holiday greens I wanted to just use the plants we have in our yard.

1. There are all kind of wreath forms that you can use (styrofoam, metal, wire, grapevine) but these days I tend to use embroidery hoops for my wreath making. You can find wooden embroidery hoops in all kinds of sizes from tiny to really big! I went with really big. Using heavy duty glue, I glued sticks to the inside of my hoop to create a peace sign and let the glue dry overnight.

2. Next I gathered greenery- while we have pine trees in our backyard I wanted some different greens so I picked lots of rosemary, wild salal, ferns and some branches from other shrubs and bushes. 

3. Then I got busy wrapping the greenery around the hoop. I like to grab a small bunch of greens, hold them against the hoop and then wrap floral wire around the greens until they are secure. 

4. I work my way around the entire wreath until it is filled. The last step it fluff and trim the greenery.


I love the way the peace sign turned out- it's a fun way to put a boho twist on holiday decor!
Don't have the time or patience to make a big wreath? Try making tiny peace wreaths! 

I used wire to create my form and then wrapped it with rosemary. It makes a fun and fragrant present topper, ornament or little place setting.


13 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a darling idea! Love the little mini ones! Love the photos of you and your daughter! Beautiful!

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

REALLY NICE!
I like the small ones too! I bet they smell good, too = )
Merry Christmas!

Marilyn said...

How clever! Love the small ones.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful!

Bee Lady said...

I love this idea! I received a peace shaped wreath years ago that I haven't used yet. I think I will cover it with greenery! Perfect!

Cindy Bee

Barb said...

Beautiful wreaths and wonderful pictures.

Stephanie said...

what a great idea!

studioGypsy said...

beautiful fun!!! xo

schulmanart said...

i never made a wreath before-- but this one inspires me to try! so pretty

Unknown said...

I love this idea! I'm sure the rosemary smells amazing too!

Miranda Murray said...

I am always inspired by the simple beauty of the work you do. You have inspired me in more ways than one! Thank you for the peek into your crazy creative life.

Today's Adventure said...

Love it. Thank you!

Sacred Gypsy said...

Love the big wreath! Love, love, love the rosemary wreath, fabulous idea!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails