Wednesday, December 10, 2014

holiday crafting with a toddler- straw garland

A big part of our family Christmas traditions is crafting (big surprise). As a kid I spent the entire month of December working on creative projects every day and this is something that I have carried into my adult life and now into my life as a mom. In next couple of weeks I thought it would be fun to share some of the kid friendly holiday projects that we have been working on. Some of our projects are made to last while others are simply about getting creative together in the moment!

While Lucy has been creating since the beginning of her little life, age three has brought a lot of interest and passion for creative projects of any kind. The days of me introducing supplies and leading a project have suddenly been replaced with her taking ownership and working independently on her own ideas- it is really amazing to watch!  This year it was really important for me to come up with projects that play to her interests. 

Currently she is obsessed with scissors- she mastered her scissors over the summer and has been crazy about cutting up anything and everything. She also loves stringing beads so I came up with a fun garland project that she could work on from start to finish!



We used a bunch of colorful straws and I let Lucy cut them up. I also let her paint a package of wood beads- she used both of these items to string into colorful garlands for our tree.


While this kid has got some big time creative skills and a great attention span, she is still only three and after about 1-2 hours she always ends up on my lap! 


Is it a stylish or fancy garland? Probably not! But for me it is more important to let Lucy have fun and make a memory than it is to be stylish or fancy with our holiday decor. More than anything I love that she is able to look at the tree and say look at what I made!

10 comments:

Flights Of Imagination said...

This is such a lovely idea, and I think its much more interesting then a shop bought one to look at! Thank you for sharing your ideas so generously :)

Anonymous said...

Totally with you on the 'it's much more interesting and beautiful to have decorations my children have made' front....love it!!! [Almost all our decorations are handmade, right from when my son (now 9) was a toddler....now my four year old daughter is totally hooked on making things...yesterday straight back from school she announced, 'Mama, I want to craft'....(that's my girl!!!)

Josie said...

i love love love seeing little lucy focus on what she is doing. it's my favorite thing!

studioGypsy said...

justlovethis.. preciousprecious.. xo

Anonymous said...

So good! I need to get my butt in gear on our straw and pom-pom garland, with Forrest's help. He'll shout "I did it!" at the end. = )

Stephanie said...

great idea!

Anonymous said...

I think any mom would be proud to have that on their tree and be happy that it was a shared memory. You are lovely and patient and that is one of the best gifts you could ever give a child. She is very lucky. Obviously you are too as she is so cute. Too many parents can't tolerate their children around while they are busy doing their thing, it will pay dividends to have her so involved and her work so endorsed.

Jo Murray said...

How absolutely gorgeous. Lucy is so engrossed in her project.

Nicole Austin said...

i love it! i think the best ornaments and decorations are the handmade ones, and especially the ones we make as children (or with our children). i still remember the clay ornaments i made in kindergarten with watercolor and glitter--it was always my favorite!

lina sexshop said...

Berikut kami akan membahas tentang bagai mana cara memperbesar penis dengan hasil cepat dan aman tanpa operasi

jika anda ingin memperbesar penis dengan hasil cepat,aman tanpa operasi itu mudah anda bisa pilih cara memperbesar penis dengan salah satu obat pembesar penis herbal seperti Neosize xl | Obat Vimax | Vigrx Plus

jika anda riskan konsumsi obat pembesar penis anda bisa pilih jalan lain seperti metode trapi ( pemakaian luar ) kami juga punya solusinya anda harus punya alat pembesar penis sejenis vacum penis atau Vimax Extender dan Pro Extender

Berikut penjelasan kami :

Apa Neosize Xl itu : Neosize Xl

Apa Vimax Asli itu : Vimax Asli Canada

Apa Vigrx Plus itu : Vigrx Plus

Apa Vacum Penis Itu : Vacum Penis

Apa Vimax Extender itu : Vimax Extender original

Apa Pro Extender itu : Pro Extender

Sekarang anda bisa tau rahasia cara memperbesar penis dengan aman tanpa operasi.selamat mencoba.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails