Tuesday, December 28, 2010

upcycled holiday sparkle earrings

IMG_5493
Before you throw out all that holiday decor, cards and wrapping paper, take a second look- perhaps there is a unique way to recycle or upcycle all that Christmas sparkle? I decided to turn all of my metallic wrapping and decoration into some sparkly earrings- just in time for New Years Eve!


IMG_4496
Tinsel, while messy can be used to create sparkly paper.


IMG_4481

Use card stock, thick paper or even recycle the inside of greeting cards (like I did).
Cover the surface with a thick layer of craft glue, gel medium or modge podge.
Trim the tinsel over the paper so that it sticks to the glue.
Let dry completely.
The result is a thick piece of sparkly paper that can be used to create all kinds simple jewelry.



IMG_4482
Cut out simple shapes


IMG_4491
Use dimensional paint to add little details.
Paint or decorate the back- optional


IMG_5509

IMG_5504

IMG_5514

IMG_5496
Cut out small shapes and using jump rings, stack the shapes for dramatic dangle earrings.


IMG_4514


IMG_4487
Use leftover metallic wrapping (or any pretty wrapping for that matter) to create rolled roses. (my tutorial is here)


IMG_5500
Fill the middle with beads.


IMG_5502
Glue to posts for a small and pretty set of earrings.


IMG_4494
Use wrapping paper and roll into beads.


IMG_5492
Use those paper beads and stack them on wire with alternating beads for a set of long dangle earrings.


IMG_5521
And there you have it a brand new collection of sparkle earrings ready for a New Years Eve Party!

28 comments:

Unknown said...

What a genius idea! Thanks for sharing! :)

Mor Düşler said...

beautiful..you are excellent..:))
yours affectionately..

http://franbuaz.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

You're genious!

Taylor said...

You continue to make dimensional paint look so good! What a great idea. Some clear dimensional glue on top to seal the base would also add a great shine! I bow down.

Taylor
www.maryjanesandgaloshes.com

Denise said...

I'm "cleaning up" after Christmas today. I will try this paper technique! Great idea

Rebecca Everett said...

Gorgeous ideas! Thank you for sharing~

anna maria said...

You are amazing!

Shelley in SC said...

These are absolutely amazing!! Love it! Thanks for sharing.

Judith said...

Brilliant idea!

Createology said...

Super clever ideas you have here. The looks are very festive. Happy creating...

Giggles said...

So impressive! You never cease to amaze me! Excellent idea!

kelly said...

you're awesome. seriously- your site is such a huge source of creative inspiration for me.

jgr said...

You are amazing! Thank you for the great ideas I can't wait to try it.

Elizabeth said...

Fabulous remakes and you know that they will be a huge hit!!!

pigwidget said...

Recycled bling! Brilliant!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Wow- I just love what you come up with. What fun and creative conversation pieces! I'll be linking.

thefirstlady said...

Excellent idea!

Anonymous said...

I'm definitely making me some Holiday Bling earrings! What a great idea! Will be featuring this tmw!

Rachel M said...

Amazing!

Anonymous said...

Love this upcycling idea!

jamie. said...

so creative! i love the ones with the beads around the edge

Kendra said...

Dang it! I already put all the decorations away and threw away all the cards. I'm filing this post away in my brain for next Christmas!

Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims said...

What a great, creative idea! thanks for sharing. I'm a new follower! :)

antArtiste said...

Thank you for sharing your beautiful ideas
Dox

The Beading Gem said...

Eco jewelry at its best! Highly creative indeed.

xristiana xristodoulou said...

smart and beautiful! Thank you!

Unknown said...

I knew I had that sparkly paper saved on the dining room table for something! Thanks Alisa for showing me the way!! :) Have a wonderful New Year!!!!

Tori said...

Fantastic! As soon as I get done with my other projects (When will that be?) I'll try it and I think I'll add a little glossy acrylic finish to it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails