Monday, November 02, 2009

Fall Fiber Place Mat Tutorial



I couldn't resist posting another tutorial inspired by my recent fall fiber wreath project! My next online class Haute Holidays started today (yes I am juggling 2 online classes at once!) and I am now in full holiday creating mode and came up with this fall fiber place mat project and thought I would share it here!

This project is along the same lines as the creating the canvas and fiber leaves used in the fall wreath. Start with a variety of painted canvas, fabric, even paper!

Cut out different pieces into large leaf shapes

I made sure all my shapes were a little different and also made sure they were the right size to fit at our round dining room table.


Layer all the leaf shapes on top of each other- keeping in mind contrast as you stack and layer.


Sew all the layers down, using the machine to create messy stitches and free motion designs.

Use in your fall table settings as place mats, a table runner or even in a center piece!

10 comments:

kittyj said...

This and the wreath are so cool! I can see I am going to have to get my sewing machine fixed!!! Or spend hours hand sewing / embroidering watching Harry Potter DVD's!

Anonymous said...

love your place mat. fantastic colors and idea

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

WOW, this is fantastic! I love this and I LOVE the wreath! I found your blog via the link on Claudine Hellmuth. I can't wait to give this try and I would *love* to link to this if you didn't mind.

Staci Danford said...

I just found your site.. Can't remember exactly how I traveled over, but I am so thrilled.. I am just in love with your work.. It is fabulous.. You are simply raw and amazing..
Staci

jgr said...

I love the place mat! (OK, I love all of your art.)
. . . if you keep this up, I might have to take up sewing! LOL. Thank you for the inspiration.

Nicole Maki said...

These are so gorgeous and I'd love to try making them. Did you treat the finished leaves with something so they can be cleaned or are they meant to be moved away from the table before the food arrives?

I ask this because my table runners and place mats usually catch a lot of drips and spills (kids and klutzes make up our family).

Rochelle said...

Very cool! Thanks for the idea. I think I will try this.

Anonymous said...

Oooh! Maybe butterfly placemats would look cool as well. I think I have a project stirring in my head. Your amazing. Have a blessed day.

Mor Düşler said...

bayıldım..süper olmuşlar ve bende yapmak istiyorum..

Ingrid said...

Muy inspirador... Gracias.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails