Tuesday, September 01, 2015

guest room makeover


When normal people have a guest coming to visit, they clean, organize and do a little house fluffing. When guests come to visit me, I paint a mural- obviously I am not normal. So when my sister in law made plans to come visit, I got that old familiar itch to get creative and decided to turn my office space into a last minute guest room.
Our spare bedroom is really small and is currently my office space- you can see how it has changed and evolved HERE and HERE. For now I still need to use this space as my office but it was crammed full of art supplies, projects and junk. I cleared everything out except for my work desk and moved things around to make space against two walls for a sofa bed and bedside table. 

Then I got busy painting a statement wall! Yes, I know this might sound like a lot of work and totally excessive but in my world, art is how I show my love and my sis in law is one of my favorite people who deserves lots of love. More than anything I wanted to create a cozy and special space for her. While I will likely paint over the wall (again) eventually, it will also serve as a photo backdrop for some upcoming projects. For me it was totally worth the time and energy. Here is a peek inside the process.


When I am painting a statement wall full of pattern, I really enjoy starting with a color. The cool thing about filling that wall full of pattern is that you really don't have to be perfect with that first layer of color. I gave my wall a quick coat of blue paint with a roller. I didn't care about the streak and imperfections because all the line work and pattern covers it up.  

Once it was dry, I got busy painting a flower pattern. Yes, we have a giant flower wall in our master bedroom but I love flowers so much that I just couldn't resist painting another one! I really love how it looks so different in shades of blue. The entire process took me a total of about 3 hours (with interruptions) and cost around $30 for paint the paint.

The result is a super fun and funky little guest room that I can still use as my office. I love that with a little creativity and paint you can quickly transform any space into a piece of art!

Now if I can just keep this room clean and organized until our guest arrives later this week!

Looking for more statement wall inspiration?





15 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow...what a tranformation...absolutely love the painted wall...
I would love to paint a wall and go crazy doodling on it some day...

OnePerfectDay said...

It looks amazing! Love the blue!

Michelle said...

Absolutely gorgeous! Can you pretend to be my SIL, too? :-)

Unknown said...

I love love love watching the videos of you creating your art! Awesome to see it happen. The wall looks great. I truly wish my hubby would let me do something like that but alas we have paneling for walls not anything that lends itself to painting in that manner. One day...a girl can dream!

Mary said...

Beautiful! It really works with the other white walls and pops of color in the room.

Anonymous said...

Sleeping in an ocean dream. xox

Barb said...

Fantastic guest room. Your talent is amazing.
Barb
North Carolina

miguerreroymiprincesa said...

Verte pintar la pared se convierte en magia!! Parece que das vida a todo lo que tocas, tu arte es grandioso!!!
Besos desde EspaƱa!!!

Monica said...

Ok wow! Love this love this love this. Inspired and so special for your guest :-)

Chantal Vandenberg said...

I love what you've done here - amazing!!!

studioGypsy said...

i think every city should have a painted wall by you! :D xoxo

Brig said...

You really are simply amazing!!! My daughters 4th birthday is this month – Spring baby in Australia – and she wants butterflies, cup cakes, and fairies painted on her wall ... I think there were other things too ... And I am sooo tempted to do something similar if only for the time ... Hmmm .... Maybe I can try and make time right? My family have bought her a beautiful "wrought iron" style bed (that was going cheap at IKEA) in white and we've also bought her a new doona (duvet) and pillow set. I would love to put it altogether when she's not there but she's always there so that won't be possible. I'm finally making a "big girls room" for her!! She's been sleeping in her cot with the sides down up until now. I can't wait to deck out the room with new furniture now that I've accomplished what I wanted to in the lounge room/ living area!! You were a great inspiration for that – I moved all our arts and crafts into the main part of the house so we don't have to traipse to the studio for anything. It's working!!!

Buy China Products said...

amazing design of bed sheets great ..............................

Unknown said...

www.biggboss9winnername.com
bigg boss season 9 host
bigg boss 9 host name

painting guest room said...

good info thanks

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails