Monday, March 17, 2014

hand painted statement wall


I've been drawing and painting on walls (and even floors) for a long time now. I am pretty sure that my 6th birthday party when my parents let all of us draw on the wall completely changed my perspective on the potential of a wall!

Recently, after rearranging our master bedroom around, I had a sudden urge to do something really dynamic and creative with the huge wall above our bed. I had been debating on creating some large decals or even wallpaper but didn't want to spend the money so I grabbed my paint (of course) and went to town!


I used black acrylic paint mixed with a little bit of water and covered the entire 12 foot wall with a flower pattern. 

I embraced the rough texture of the wall and also let the the paint drip in places.


As much as I love color, I decided to keep the wall black and white so I could change the colors of our bedding.


After about 4 hours of painting, a sore shoulder and a $6.00 tube of black paint, I created a crazy cool statement wall (it's kinda like being inside a page of my sketchbook). And the best part is that it's only paint!
If (or when) we get tired of it we can paint right over it and start over!


For those who will ask...yes, we have a giant bed! We are still co-sleeping and recently put two mattresses together (a king and a full) on the ground to create one big bed where we all sleep with lots of space and comfort! It's not for everyone but it works for us!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails