Monday, December 29, 2014

upcycled gift wrap

There is always that one family member who insists upon saving opened gift wrap and I am that family member! While I am not a hoarder, I do like to upcycle things in my creative projects that would otherwise get thrown out. Christmas is my favorite time to stock up on colorful paper that I can put to use in projects throughout the year. After everyone opens their presents, I collect the paper (even the crumbled paper) that catches my eye- my favorites are tissue paper, colorful wrapping and interesting prints. There are SO many ways to upcycle gift wrap and today I am sharing three of my favorites!



Incorporating gift wrap into an art journal is super easy. Lately I have been making and binding my own art journals with my Bind-It-All. Recently I made myself a HUGE art journal filled with my hand painted paper but I also added gift wrap for a light weight filler paper that I can use to add pops of color, doodling, drawing and collage.

If you are not creating or binding your own art journals, gift wrap is great to use in the backgrounds of collage, with photos or even incorporated into painted surfaces.

I've been making paper and fabric beads for years! They are a perfect projects to put teeny tiny scraps of just about anything to use. 

Simple roll strips of paper around a tooth pick (or something similar) gluing as you roll. Once the bead it rolled up, let the glue dry. Take it a step further and dip the beads in a glossy gel medium for a little shine or even paint them!

Paper mache projects are such a great way to put scrap paper to use and it is kid friendly! We are working in a little collection of paper bowls to use for storing little goodies and tiny treasures. I love that this was created from trash!




17 comments:

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

I like all your recycled paper ideas! I have always wanted to try to make paper beads. Thanks for sharing this idea = ) Have a happy and joyful NEW YEAR, Alisa!

akwiinas said...

As always- nice to read your post! Usually I collect all my wrapping papers and sometimes I even manage to use them to wrap some little gifts for swaps or I make little envelopes or gift tags out of those scraps. I probably should write a blog post how I use my wrapping paper, Thanks a lot for idea! :)

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Awesome ideas as always. My good friends all know not to throw out wrapping or tissue paper or strings and bows because I will reuse it somehow, someway! :) Happy holidays!

Elisabetta Brustio said...

Good ideas, as always! Happy and creative New Year!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I just saved golden wrapping papers from fire this morning...and I discovered your last post, giving so nice ideas, once more !!!
By the way, thank you so much for all the things you share with us : your art and your style are a sunshine everytime !!!
Merci encore !!!
Marianne (from France)

Esperanza said...

Thanks a lot for the idea! Happy New Year!

jackie said...

You are always one step away from awesomeness....(if that is a word)

Nicole Austin said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who saves pretty wrapping and tissue paper for art projects! I save some of the paper and tape them in journals just so that years from now we can see what "vintage" wrapping paper looks like! :)

Paper rainbow said...

I love Christmas because it creates a paper stash for the whole year! I am a great fan of recycled paper, especially the foil ones, thank you for sharing your super saver ideas.

SmilynStef said...

We're using ours to make holiday cards for next year:

Jingle Belles

Unknown said...

Short SMS Messages for Fathers Day


Short Quotes for Fathers Day


Fathers Dy Quotes for my Dad


Fathers Day Short Quotes


Love Quotes for Fathers Day


Short Sms for Fathers Day


Fathers Day Sms


Happy Fathers Day Poems

Fathers day poems 2015

Poems For Fathers Day

Fathers Day 2015 Poems

Fathers Day Quotes Messages

Fathers Day Quotes Messages

Fathers Day Sms Messages

Unknown said...

Fathers Day Love Poems

Fathers Day Poems from Son

Happy Fathers Day Poems from Son

Fathers Day Beautiful Poems from Son




Father’s Day 2015 Greeting Quotes

Fathers Day Quotes

Fathers Day Greetings Quotes

Fathers Day Quotes Images

Fathers Day Images with Quotes

Fathers Day Quotes with Images

Unknown said...

Best Happy Fathers Day Quotes

Best Fathers Day Quotes from Son

Fathers Day Quotes from Son

Fathers Day Quotes from Daughter

Fathers Day Quotes 2015

Happy Fathers Day 2015 Quotes





Fathers Day Love Poems

Fathers Day Poems from Daughter

Happy Fathers Day Poems from Daughter

Fathers Day Beautiful Poems from Daughter

Unknown said...

World’s Best Father Quotes Messages for Fathers Day

Father Quotes Messages for Fathers Day from Son and Daughter

Fathers Day Quotes Messages from Son

Fathers Day Quotes Messages from Daughter

Fathers Day Quotes from Son



Fathers Day Quotes from Daughter

Fathers Day Messages from Son

Fathers Day Messages fro Daughter




Fathers Day Best Sms

Best Fathers Day Sms

Fathers Day Sms Messages

Fathers Day Sms in Hindi

Fathers Day Sms in English

Fathers Day Messages in Hindi

Fathers Day Messages in English

Fathers Day Hindi Sms

Fathers Day English Sms

Unknown said...

Cute Father’s Day Cards


Fathers Day Greeting Cards

Fathers Day Printable Cards

Fathers Day Cards Messages

Fathers Day Greeting Card Messages

Fathers Day Card Msgs





Happy Fathers Day Special Sms

Fathers Day Special SMS

Fathers Day Sms from Son

Fathers Day Special Sms from Son

Unknown said...

Happy Fathers Day Poems

Fathers day poems 2015

Poems For Fathers Day

Fathers Day 2015 Poems

Fathers Day Quotes Messages

Fathers Day Quotes Messages

Fathers Day Sms Messages



fathers day australia

fathers day poems

fathers day messages

Happy Fathers Day Messages

Happy Fathers Day

Fathers Day

Happy Fathers Day Poems


Fathers Day Love Sms


Happy Fathers Day Sms


Fathers Day Sms


Fathers Day Sms in Hindi


Fathers Day Hindi Sms


Fathers Day Sms from Son


Fathers Day Sms from Daughter

gachbongviet said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who saves pretty wrapping and tissue paper for art projects! I save some of the paper and tape them in journals just so that years from now we can see what "vintage" wrapping paper looks like! :) gachbongvietnam

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails