Monday, December 08, 2014

oven bake clay present toppers

Oven bake clay is a great alternative if you want to play around with clay projects! One of my favorite things to make during the holidays is present toppers that can double as little ornaments.
I started with a few different colors of Sculpey oven bake clay - red, black and off-white. I grabbed a few of my favorite flower stamps from my collection. Anything that makes an impression can be used to make an impression or stamp into clay-stamps, leaved, flowers, decorative buttons, decorative jewelry are all things that can be pressed into clay!

I rolled my clay into little free form disks and then pressed my stamp into the surface and carefully pulled it away.

I poked a hole in each of my clay disks.

Next I baked the clay in the oven according to the directions on the packaging (275 degrees for about 15 minutes)

Once the clay cooled I painted the surface. I completely covered the entire surface with black acrylic paint.
While the paint was still wet, I wiped it from the surface with a damp cloth. The paint settles into the nooks and crannies of the designs!
The end result are rustic looking little present toppers that can also be hung on the tree!



14 comments:

Saskia said...

So beautiful and unique! Great idea!!

Smiles, Saskia :)

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

So sweet!

Erin Fish said...

Another fabulous idea! Love it!

ladylyn said...

love it! (Have you drawn the winners for the stamp sets yet?)

Michelle P said...

Such a unique idea! So pretty!

Anonymous said...

Fabulous !! I'm going to the store today and make these today!!
Thanks Alisa!

duoMAMA said...

Beatiful! Big like for this idea! <3

Paper rainbow said...

These are fantastic!! So pleased I found your blog, Following with happiness ;)

Jo Murray said...

You have the best ideas!

Terri said...

They'd make nice pendant necklaces, or fobs for keys, too.
Hugs

Brig said...

These are fantastic!!! Love, love, love!

studioGypsy said...

oh so beautiful.. i have to make these for sure!! thankyou sweet!! xo

Brig said...

Hi Alisa, I just bought some Sculpey today to try these out. I was thinking of making some little pendants to wear as necklaces – gifts. I'm guessing the acrylic wouldn't be permanent enough to get wet. Do you know? Have you got any suggestions as to what paint would be best instead? Maybe enamel? I just love your designs. They're so inspiring! Thank you for sharing.

Stephanie said...

can't wait to break out my new AB stamps for this project! Do you think the crayola air dry clay would work? Was thinking about doing these with my 3 year old. Thanks.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails