Tuesday, December 14, 2010

red and green and delicious!

IMG_3308

There are some recipes that are UNBELIEVABLY simple but so delicious- the perfect pairing of flavors. One of the favorites in our house is caprese salad. We fix it all the time and no matter how many times I take a bite, I always smile- it's like fresh garden in your mouth :)



IMG_3634

Caprese salad is a simple Italian salad consisting of tomato, mozzarella and basil. It is typically served as sliced tomatoes topped with a piece mozzarella, a basil leaf and then drizzled with olive oil and basalmic vinegar.


IMG_3290
While I love the traditional sliced version, I decided to make a salad that was little easier to eat, could serve lots of people or be boxed up for leftovers.


IMG_3293
I started with baby tomatoes- these could be either served whole or sliced in half.


IMG_3292
Then I used A LOT of basil and instead of cutting it up I ripped it up into small/medium pieces


IMG_3294
and added it to the tomatoes.


IMG_3295
Next, I ripped up pieces of mozzarella. Let me just say this about the mozzarella- it must be good quality, fresh and the creamier the better. Often the good mozzarella is sold in a container with 3-4 round balls floating in water (or brine) and will be the creamiest.


IMG_3298
The last step is to drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar- if you like the flavor. I love balsamic on my caprese salad but my hubby prefers just the olive oil.

Finish with a sprinkle of salt and pepper.


IMG_3300
Toss everything together and serve.


IMG_3301
Just looking at this photo makes my mouth water!


IMG_3310
This is truly the perfect salad that will go with just about anything


IMG_3305
and has a very festive color palette- perfect for holiday entertaining!

20 comments:

My Fashion Dolly said...

It looks so yummy! What a great recipe, I might try it for the Holidays. Thanks for sharing Alisa!!!

miz katie said...

Ooooh, i'm starving now!! That looks so good. sigh.

Danila said...

I love insalata caprese but first of all I LOVE YOUR BLOG AND YOUR CREATIONS! Since when I found it, last month, I came to visit it every day!
It is full of inspiration.
You make my days. (I hope you understand the meaning...I'm not sure of what I'm saying, my english is quite bad, but anyway, it's positive!)

AVinNYC said...

What a beautiful salad- and such a wonderful splash of holiday color! Also, what a great plate- it looks like fabric in the first shot! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

This is so beautiful and so simple. Wonderful!

Bonita Rose said...

You are a rock star when it comes to photography! Your salad looks so so good! hugs to you.. thks for sharing this with all of us.. and u are right, that cheese looks sooo creamy!

cindy shake said...

Mmmmmm! you've inspired me -I know what I'm making tonight :o)

Timaree said...

It is the perfect party snack. My niece brought it to a party once and now I like to do it. Just don't cut the tomatoes in half. Combine the tomatoes, cheese and basil but don't add the oil and vinegar till you get to the party. Everyone loves it.
My son prefers just the oil too.

Wendy said...

Great idea! I usually only have the little sandwiches in the summer when tomatoes are fresh out of the garden. But doing it this way like a salad with the tiny tomatoes sounds wonderful. Now that I think of it, I've seen something similar to this with chunks of bread toasted a bit. Geez, I might have to make this for lunch today. Or breakfast.

Jessica at Me Sew Crazy said...

the caprese salad was a staple in my house growing up...my mouth is watering right now just looking at the photos!!!

Leah said...

One of my favorites too! Also...if you need a quick appetizer, do the traditional sliced version & place on top of baguette slices. Of course, it's never as good as when my mom's garden tomatoes are in season...

Denise said...

I love this salad. Thank you for the beautiful pictures of the lovely red tomatoes and the green basil. Very festive for December. I moved from Corona del Mar to Denver 6 months ago.. This fresh salad reminds me so much of the availability and freshness of produce available in California all year long......as for Denver...I am making a leek and potato soup today after French onion soup Monday. Check out my blog http://messyroomstudio.blogspot.com/

Aurora said...

I've seen recipes for this before and have always wanted to try it and am totally making it for Christmas! So easy, and so yuuummy!! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

this is one of my favorite dishes for sure. perfection on a plate!

and so simple!

Unknown said...

Mmm, yum! I never think about eating caprese salad in the winter, but it IS festive after all.

longredthread said...

Your photos of food always look superdelicious.

Anonymous said...

Yummmmmmmmm..my second favorite thing with tomatoes is brushetta...love it!!
Smiles, Andra

Valentina Harper said...

Looks soooo yummy!
Alisa, I absolutely love the recipes you share here. Thank you!!!

Detexo tejidos artesanales- Karina Sala said...

Delicious, and lovely colors♥
Hugs from Argentina♥

jabbott said...

very clever

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails