Monday, December 27, 2010

homemade fortune cookies

IMG_5469
IMG_5479
I have been saving this post for a while and am SO excited to share a simple, fun and creative baking project that is perfect for New Years Eve/Day entertaining! Whether you are attending a party, throwing your own or even staying home in your pj's, homemade fortune cookies are a festive treat to make and a family baking project that everyone can participate in.


IMG_5447
Start by making your own fortunes. This could really be anything- favorite quotes, bible verses, poetry, song lyrics or even things that are specific to you and your family (inside jokes would be a blast!).


IMG_5448
Cut them into strips and set aside.


IMG_5450
The batter is REALLY easy and while there are a number of different variations, I went with a simple recipe.


  • 1 egg white
  • 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 pinch of salt
  • 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup white sugar


Mix the egg white and vanilla until foamy but not stiff.

Sift the flour, salt, and sugar and blend into the egg white mixture. The batter will be just a little bit runny.

Grease up a cookie sheet. I like to flip mine upside down and use the bottom.



IMG_5455

Place teaspoons of batter onto the cookie sheet and using a spoon spread thin.


IMG_5457

IMG_5459

Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for about 3-5 minutes or until the edges of the cookie are browned.


IMG_5461
Using a metal spatula quickly and carefully remove the cookies.
tip- since the cookies will stay flexible as long as they are warm make small batches to make the process easier.



IMG_5463

Fold and place fortune in the middle of the cookie


IMG_5487

and fold in half.


IMG_5465

Using a glass or mug bend the cookie over the rim and let cool.


IMG_5467

As it cools it will harden.


IMG_5481

IMG_5474

IMG_5477

IMG_5489

36 comments:

Nelly said...

Super cool. You make it look very easy. May have to try this.

Mehlika Yıldırım said...

wooow it seems easy, I will try to make these cookies =)

Roberta said...

Nice idea!

☼ Carolina ☼ said...

Hola!
muy lindos trabajo!!
te dejé un Mimo especial con mis mejores deseos para este nuevo año 2011, en mi blog.
es para ti!!
UN abrazo!!
c@

Jessica said...

That's so cute!!!

Laura said...

These look amazing! Thank you for sharing.

ginigin said...

Thanks for posting this recipe! I'll try this with new year resolutions for a pot luck party.

Maggie @ Vittles and Bits said...

This is so fun!! We gave out custom fortune cookies at our wedding as favors, so they hold a special place in my heart :) Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

how many does this recipe make?

Mellisa said...

I love homemade fortune cookies...my trick is to put them in an empty egg carton cup after folding so they don't pop open before they cool :)

Hannah said...

How much fun! I love it!

-Hannah
http://hmocruz.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

You have such beautiful handwritting

Theresa Plas said...

Love this idea Alisa!

Carmen said...

What a great idea :P And I have to agree with the anonymous comment about your handwriting ;)

Ambrosia said...

I love this idea! I would have never thought to make fortune cookies at home, but you make it look so easy. Great pics, too!!!

Amanda said...

This looks great! I featured you today! Hope you had a great holiday!

Amanda
todaystoptwenty.blogspot.com

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Oh how fun! I so want to make these for my family for New Years! Thanks so much Alisa, I'll be linking.

Jeanne Oliver said...

I love, love, love this. Thank you for posting the recipe.

Amy {The Idea Room} said...

I love this idea! I really want to make these! I will be sharing this with my FB fans...hope you don't mind!

dining room table said...

Thanks for posting this! This is really cool! I really should make some!

lekyvijay said...

hey alisa thats real nice ,,,,good thing u saved this post for today...cos its helped i was depressed abt somethings wonderin which way to go when ur cookies told me to go follow my dreams...thanks and may you have a great year 2011

Sydney said...

Such a great idea! We have a party for the kids every year and they love fortune cookies. I really love your blog. You are so very creative and have a fabulous creative color palette!

Custom Fortune Cookies said...

This is really an excellent idea to make Custom Fortune Cookies and it is quite easy. So, I will definitely try this on new year day. Thanks for sharing.

Cynthia said...

Just finished up making several batches for our new years ... the clock strikes twelve in just ten minutes. What a beautiful way to start the year.
Thanks Alisa!

NicNacManiac said...

Lovin this idea...your great photos and instruction make me think that even I could attempt this!!

blog da Ione said...

Adorei a Idéia!!!!
Obrigada por compartilhar!!!
:)

Anonymous said...

so happy I found these. I think they would be great idea to include in my girl's birthday goodie bags. I am a terrible baker, but they seem pretty simple. Thank you very much :)

M'Lynn said...

I made these for our New Year's Eve party and it was a big hit! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

thank you for this wonderful recipe. My daughter (10) made it for her brother's birthday. He turns 13, so you can imagine how funny the fortunes were....

Unknown said...

I've made these once already and will be making them again tonight! Wonderfully easy and so fun :)

Cardigans and Cookie Dough

Lilian Fernanda said...

Made these right now and they turned out amazing!! They were super easy to work with and the flavor is really yummy (taste just like sugar cookies). One recipe yielded 10 fortune cookies for me. My tips are - spray the cup with cooking spray and the pan every time you bake a new batch... and make 4 cookies at a time. after shaping them, I placed each in a tiny metal sauce cup (I have a bunch). I would not recommend using an egg cartoon because it might contaminate your cookies with salmonella... unless you wash it really well. Thanks so much for a great recipe! :-)

Lilian Fernanda said...

Just beware that they don't last long... I made them last Friday and on Sunday they already had an umpleasant taste. Today (Wednesday), they tasted worse. They tasted wonderful for the first two days. Hope this helps. :-)

dannelle@nestenterprises said...

what a sweet idea. your blog is devine, glad I happened upon it.
happiness...
dannelle@nestenterprises
http://nestenterprises.typepad.com

Unknown said...

Wowww! This is a super cool and sweet idea. I just found today your Blog it is really nice! I love it! Thank you for sharing this amazing receipt ;-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing such a wonderful post about the fortune cookies. Fortune cookies are crunchy Asian American cookies that are made of sugar, flour, vanilla, and edible oil, with a special 'fortune' placed inside.
Fortune Cookies and Tarot UK

Unknown said...

Nice..!!!online mattress and bed retailer

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails