Thursday, December 02, 2010

a coastal holiday part 1

IMG_35242
Having lived at the beach for most of my life, I consider myself to be an expert beachcomber and other than being an artist, it is truly up there as one of my favorite things to do. Is there such a thing as a professional beachcomber?!



IMG_4596
For a few years, I've been kicking around the idea of having a coastal themed holiday where I put my love of beachcombing to use. Instead of being tempted to buy ornaments and decorations (yes, even though I typically make everything, I still get tempted to buy more) I would
work around a beach theme, find all my decorations at the beach or make the rest- everything inspired by the sea.
This is the year that I challenge myself to do it!


IMG_3502
So for the last few days I've made my way down to the beach. Lately we've had some minus tides (translation: VERY low tide) and this is the best time to go beachcombing.


IMG_3546
I cover a lot of ground when I'm in "beachcombing mode" and prefer to go alone (everyone I know runs out of patience after about 30 minutes) because I spend hours and walk miles . I traverse back and forth from the water line up to the dry sand, covering everything in between and then back down to the water line- back and forth for miles.


IMG_4637
I sift through tiny pieces of shells. This is where you can find teeny tiny treasures.


IMG_3566
I crawl around on all fours- sometimes this is the only way to see everything.


IMG_2336
I search through rocks


IMG_4664
until I find the perfect one.



IMG_4667



IMG_4601
I only look for shells that will fit with my ideas- otherwise I could come home with WAY TOO MANY treasures!


IMG_4590



IMG_3580
When I get home I spread everything out


IMG_3579
and sift through my findings.


IMG_3597
I organize by size,


IMG_3586
categories


IMG_3604
and color.


IMG_3606
and now it is time to get to work!

Check back in the next few days to see what I have been creating with all my beachcombing treasures

30 comments:

whyducks said...

Alisa you are truly blessed with where you live. We are snowed in at the moment and although it is very pretty it is very limiting when you cannot get out!

*jean* said...

i will gladly pop back in! i am also a beachcomber but i comb the freshwater, lake superior, not many shells but lovely rocks, bones, glass, and rusty things...love the ocean too, but not very convenient...

Jane LaFazio said...

oh my! can't wait. love this post.

Lindy and Paul said...

I'd have kept up with you! Can't wait to see what you create.

Alissa @ Homemade Gifts said...

I love shell collecting at the beach too! I'm so excited to see what you will do with all your pretty finds :)

Kittyj said...

I can't wait to see what you do! I LOVE beach treasures!

Sharon said...

I, too, am looking forward to seeing what you come up with! The beach has always been fun for me, no matter where it is. Very relaxing!

Happy hunting!!

JessiVille said...

Love this post! I'm dreaming that I am on that beach and finding such fun treasures! Can't wait to see what you create with them.

Sarah said...

wow beautiful! can't wait to see!!

Jacqueline said...

We aren't allowed to take stuff off the beach at Doheny as it's a nature preserve. So I have to look and leave.

Karen said...

Hope to do some early morning Beachcombing next week while I'm in Redondo Beach. Can't wait to see what you come up with. Your ideas are so very inspiring!

Unknown said...

You could be my best friend ever. I adore beach combing and do it all the time. I am like you and can spend hours enjoying the search, sand and surf (with or without sun!). I will say your shells are more awesome than what I can find on my beach but that won't stop me. :o)

My Fashion Dolly said...

Wow, your photos are so lovely, just looking at those shells and the sand makes you dream of the ocean. It brings peace and serenity. I'm also looking forward to see what you can create with them. =)

Shirley said...

Can't wait to see what you do with these. I have similar photos of sheets of great shells from my East Coast beach combing during the summer.

Jana said...

Love beach combing - I can get lost in the treasure hunt. Always searching for those prize agates, unique colored rocks and shells... Just curious, what camera and lens do you use for your beautiful crisp photos? They're enchanting!

Bonita Rose said...

Oh my.. u are so blessed to be living where u are.. hubby and I hv a dream of living by the sea one day too.. check out my reverb 10 post a bit down on my blog today! Love your post.... I can't wait to see what else u will share.. beautiful!

If u are going to seaside soiree, say hi to some of my brave girls friends for me, I was with some of them this past Oct.. hugs bonnierose

Penny said...

I too do what you do on our Aussie beaches.

Judith said...

beautiful world we live in
impressive
amazing

barrentree said...

Beachcombing is something that I have been wanting to do ever since moving to Portland (OR), but I don't know where to go for good beachcombing!!! Do you have any recommendations/tips for us? :-)

martinealison said...

Je crains avoir fait un peu la même chose ces derniers jours!!! mais avec tant de plaisir.
Bises

Jill said...

My daughter and I created a "Sea and Sky" tree a few years ago. We glued ribbon to our collection of shells for ornaments and added small birds to the tree (just because we like them). We have a starfish for a tree-topper. I'll have to take a pic of it and post it when I get it up this year. Can't wait to see your finished product!

Timaree said...

Thirty minutes is no time at all when wandering the beach! What fun!

lynda Howells said...

Alisa l used to live my the sea for many years in many different countries. Now l live in London which l love but l do MISS the sea and collecting shells , stones and sea glass. Enjoy your timexlynda

lynda Howells said...

Alisa l used to live my the sea for many years in many different countries. Now l live in London which l love but l do MISS the sea and collecting shells , stones and sea glass. Enjoy your timexlynda

lynda Howells said...

Alisa l used to live my the sea for many years in many different countries. Now l live in London which l love but l do MISS the sea and collecting shells , stones and sea glass. Enjoy your timexlynda

Ariadne said...

I love beachcombing!And what I collect most is sea glass!I would love to see your sketchbook with painitngs of sea shells,stones and sea glass.Ariadne from Greece!

Anonymous said...

Love it!!;-) I had actually been thinking of making a similar tree this year. I love the beach & I'm so envious that you get to live there full time!! Have a Merry Christmas!

Jo

MODERN Prairie Girl said...

It's so good to go home! Nothing like a coastal holiday ;)
cheers!
Lara

patty a. said...

I just catching up on the blogs I read and came across this post and my heart just jumped. Oh, to live near and comb the beach. I need to move! I love coming home with little treasures. Right now I live a mid-sized city and mostly I pick up scraps of metal I find in the gutters. Just looking at your pictures gives me a sense of calm.

Anonymous said...

What Beach did you go to find the beautiful shells and rocks?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails