Saturday, November 27, 2010

upcycled fiber coasters tutorial

IMG_2853

IMG_2835

Recently I met up for a day full of fun with my friend and fellow artist Jane LaFazio. We met at Liberty Station in San Diego and visited Visions Art Museum, took lots of photos, ate a fabulous lunch and exchanged materials to create with. I gave Jane a bag full of painted canvas scraps and Jane gave me a whole bunch of denim and ribbon scraps. I knew right away I would put these scraps to use for a holiday gift tutorial- a set of fiber coasters.

IMG_2906

IMG_3389
Denim is a such a great material to create with and using upcylced jeans is a great way to save money!


IMG_3392
Scraps of ribbon and scraps of fabric (even the tiny ones) are also great to put to use in a variety of projects.


IMG_3393
I started by cutting out squares from the denim.


IMG_3395
I cut up the scraps of ribbon and also added tiny scraps of my own fabric that I had on hand.


IMG_3396
I scattered the scraps onto the surface of each denim square


IMG_3398
and sewed them down to the surface with free motion stitching.


IMG_3399
I continued to sew more scraps until I was satisfied with the surface.


IMG_3400
Then I cut out a piece of tulle to layer over the surface of the square.


IMG_3401
I wanted to add another layer, additional texture and tone down the colors a little.


IMG_3402
I stitched the tulle over the top of everything with lots of straight stitches.


IMG_3403
When the surface was finished, I added another piece of denim to the back and with a zig zag stitch sew the front and back together.


IMG_3404


IMG_2843
I created a set of four.


IMG_2871



IMG_2853


IMG_2818
Last, I created four little denim rolled beads that I added to ribbon that I used to tied them all together.


IMG_2825


IMG_2826
VOILA! The perfect little handmade holiday gift!




P.S

IMG_2908

Want to see what Jane created with her bag of my painted canvas scraps and denim?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails