Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Stars and Stripes Wreath Tutorial

Untitled-1

Is is just me or did the month of June completely speed by us?!?! Well, whether I like it or not the month of July is starting and Independence Day is this weekend- YIKES! So I am dedicating the rest of the week to fun, easy and creative last minute ideas for your holiday celebrations! I wanted a creative and fun wreath for the door to welcome company and so far I've had no time to run to the store so I made use of what I had on hand.


IMG_0145
I started with the inside of an old embroidery hoop to use as the frame for my wreath.


IMG_0137
I created all kinds of stars from old bits and pieces of fabric and paper that I free motion stitched with different colors of thread.

A variation for those who don't sew could be drawn, painted or even stamped stars.


IMG_0144

IMG_0138

IMG_0140
Once I was done sewing I cut out all of the stars

IMG_0147
and with craft glue, I glued them to the surface of the hoop.


IMG_0204
The last step was to create a little striped loop to add the back of the wreath for a hanger.


IMG_0170
And voilĂ !!!! A simple, creative and patriotic wreath to add a little charm to the front door (with no money spent).


wreath2
IMG_0193
IMG_0178



13 comments:

THE BROWN BOYS said...

nice job, as always!
fyi, we recently updated our blog with a 'stuff we like' tab, and added you!

keep up the great work!
http://thingswithwingsartjournal.blogspot.com

Effie said...

Great idea!

whyducks said...

Brilliant I am going to try it!

Cindy Lietz, Polymer Clay Tutor said...

What a neat idea! Love the use of the book pages mixed in with the fabric stars. Wouldn't have thought to sew the paper like that. Very clever!

Patty said...

Beautiful! I love red, white & blue and think this is so creative! Love all the different texture. I might have to try one! Thanks for the inspiration!!

Alexa said...

Love this!!!

teri said...

Cute Idea!!!
Going to try to redo my faded Red White and Blue Wreath stored from last year .... may use your idea as part of the decorations.

Christine said...

Hi Alisa,

Here's a link to something I think is right up your alley. I would love to see your spin on these.

http://alphamom.com/family-fun/holidays/make-your-own-fourth-of-july-confetti-popper-rockets/

Christine

Rebecca said...

Hi Alisa - love this! What's the name of the sewing machine foot you used? Is it an embroidery foot?
Really enjoying your work!,
Rebecca :)

Jenny said...

Really cool idea! It looks like you've backed the fabric up with felt or something? You are an inspiration to so many of us - keep up the great work!

corinne said...

We made these! Three of them and it was so fun! Thank you! xo

Lindy@Itsy Bitsy Paper said...

This looks great! Totally awesome wreath

I am having a Red, White and Blue Linky Party and hope you will join in on the fun!
http://www.itsybitsypaperblog.com/2011/07/red-white-and-blue-linky-party.html

Geri Johnson said...

I love this idea! Had to pin it *<:+)
Check out the recycled wreath I made for the 4th at: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3827812487263&set=a.3827811367235.2149627.1036342162&type=1&theater

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails