Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Painted Glass Cake Stand

IMG_8192
I have a thing for cake stands (and for cake!) they are pretty and fancy and make dessert look more yummy. I am always on the lookout for unique cake stands to add to my growing collection.


IMG_8104
When I came across this simple glass cake stand for $7.00 at Target I knew it would be perfect for me to transform into something all my own!



IMG_8106
If you have never tried using glass paint...you must try! It is an easy and colorful way to transform glassware into your very own art. FYI- painted glass also makes really great one-of-a-kind holiday, birthday and wedding gifts for people.

There a number of different kinds of glass paint out there and you can purchase it at most crafts stores. Some paints you will need to bake in the oven after painting, while others (like the Delta brand that I used) requires that you condition the surface with a bonding agent and then paint on top and let air dry for days. The kind of paint you select should depend on the what you will be using the glassware for- how much it will get washed, used for food vs decoration, etc.



IMG_8107
Cover the surface with your painting or design.
I wanted a lacy, henna inspired design to cover the entire surface.


IMG_8116
I covered every inch of the cake plate with my designs.


IMG_8111
The paint I used has a really cool iridescent look to it when it hits the light.


IMG_8176
I let the paint dry according to the directions- 10 days- and then I washed it in preparation for a cake!


IMG_8178
What's the point of having a new cake stand with no cake?


IMG_8199


IMG_8193
The result is a beautiful and unique cake stand perfect for summer entertaining!


IMG_8179

41 comments:

Kittyj said...

So AMAZING!!! Now I want a cake stand - it's just beautiful!

Kim W. said...

wowww thats so pretty! i was actually looking at cake stands online yesterday because i want one! such a good idea! thanks.

KIM

Stephanie said...

LOVE this!

Alison said...

Wow! That cake stand iS so beautiful - and so is the cake!

Erin Butson said...

ow do you some up with this stuff?!? love it. yor ideas just make me want to make some more...

Pretty Arty said...

it turns out to be great!!!

katia said...

very beautifull idea!!! congratulation katia

Pia said...

Grazie mille per le tue idee e per le bellissime creazioni che metti a disposizione di tutti! Thank you so much! Ciao pia

Craftcherry said...

Gorgeous!!

Lindy and Paul said...

You seem to outdo yourself each and every day! I enjoy your creations so much, and that cake has my mouth watering!

candicem said...

WOW... that is beautiful!

Stephanie said...

lovely stand and cake!

Sherri said...

You are Awesome!

Samantha @ The Douangphilas said...

This is so cool and you made it look easy but I'd probably find a way to mess up this project :/ what tool did you use to apply the paint? I want to try this with a vase!!

tanya said...

oooo pretty! great job!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Wow, this made my jaw drop. It's gorgeous Alisa! I'll be linking.

rachel said...

This is really fabulous. I think this will end up in my crafty queue!

Diana said...

wow, I just LOVE this! How did you apply the glass paint? Just a tiny paintbrush, hand-drawings? Thanks for your inspiration!!!

De Leon Signs said...

Absolutely Lovely! You're amazing.

AVinNYC said...

I totally collect cake stands... but I never thought about decorating my own! Now, I'm off to target.com to see if I can score one for myself! :) Thank you for this fantastic idea!!

Bethany @ The Paper Pony said...

I, too, LOVE cake stands. What a beautiful and unique pattern! Thank you for sharing!

Lynda said...

Thats a really good idea! I had no idea that target had cake stands for 7 bucks. I'm glad you mentioned that because I have been looking for an inexpensive one :) Thank you!

studio pashnada said...

I love these paints - tho I've never actually used them on glass. I like to use them in my collages becuz they're sheer.

Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

Very lovely and unique! That's one of my favorite colors.

Anonymous said...

The cake stand is awesome!
You are so talented.

Hugs! Barbie

Jane LaFazio said...

just gorgeous!

life without novacaine said...

Gasp! This is fabulous! I'm going to do one too! Thanks for the great ideas!

Anonymous said...

beautiful!!!

Andrew Thornton said...

The stand looks good and SO does the cake! Yummy!

Unknown said...

That cake stand it just amazing! You must have some serious control. I tried something similar in a ceramics class and ended up with thick, bulky lines.

Julissa Mora said...

This is soooo lovely! The dish makes the cake look good LOL! :)

One of Fab Five said...

I LOVE cake stands, too...and have a nice collection going. Love what you did to make this extra special and personal!

Anonymous said...

Hello there, I have a question about the paint, plz. Does it say it's non-toxic, food-safe? I work with a different glass-paint brand, and they say that I should only apply it to surfaces that don't get in contact with food or drinks. Thanks.

spontaneous-euphoria said...

absolutely love it!

cranston auto glass said...

I can't say anything more. Everything is perfect.

Anonymous said...

Hello I was admiring your cake stand. However, I was wondering if you free handed your design? If so I am sunk..lol. Could I use a paper doily? Did you paint the top or under the cake stand. BTW, tks for the awesome post...Eve

countertops phoenix said...

Beautiful set of colors. Their like for the Kings and Queens.

jerseys cheap said...

I LOVE cake stands, too...and have a nice collection going. Love what you did to make this extra special and personal

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

This type of cake stand are really rare. I'm glad to see your creation !

Unknown said...

I like the post and the pictures as the pictures shows the painted Cake Stand.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails