Monday, June 21, 2010

Important Online Class Announcement

IMG_9401

As I mentioned in my post on Saturday, I've made it through one whole year as a full time entrepenuer and artist. And I promised myself that when I hit the one year mark I would reevaluate, tweak, change, learn and move forward in new and different ways. I am at the beginning of starting this process and the first thing on my list is my online classes.


IMG_9313

When I first started offering online classes, they were set up in a five week format and were designed feel like a live class- a limited amount of time where you focus on creating during those five weeks. After receiving requests to make them accessible at any time, I decided to open them up for unlimited access. I am incredibly disappointed (sad, mad, frustrated) to announce that I have been forced to change the way I offer my classes due to MAJOR changes on the site I use- Ning. I have been frantically trying to figure out a way to keep the archive of classes available for registration and access at any time and at economic prices. But at this point it looks like I will need to remove all of them on August 19th and return to classes being offered 1 at a time on a five week format. This decision has been really difficult to make and I have been in turmoil about posting this announcement- I just don't want anyone to be mad at me! But it seems to be my only option until I can find/create a site to hold all of my classes.


gc

While the option for unlimited access will not be available after August 19th, I will be offering new classes AND will also be rotating the old classes throughout different months. During those rotations, those of you who have been a part of the classes in the past will gain free access for the five weeks. If you are currently a part of any of my online classes, you will be receiving an
email with more details.

I am still searching for alternative ways to offer online classes with unlimited access (dvd versions, another host site, creating my own site) but this process is going to take some time. In the meantime I would appreciate patience and understanding and would love to hear any feedback you might have at alisaburke@gmail.com.


junecoupon

The good news is-
For the next two weeks I will be offering another sale on ALL online classes- $10 off all classes! This will be an opportunity to "get them while you can" and learn, create and access the information up until August 19th.

AND... I am finally ready to open registration for my next class- Color Your World! I will announce details later this week and will be offering a pre registration discount :)

14 comments:

Anzouya said...

Hello! Maybe it's not my job to say that, since I haven't taken any of your classes...yet, but I've taken some other online classes before and they were all hosted to a typepad blog and they all have access any time you want for 1 whole year. I don't know if this info is any helpful to you, but I hope it will.

Alison said...

You need to do whatever works best for you! We can all fit in. I just admire your blog and haven't thought about taking a class as I don't have the materials or a space to work in, or - being a teacher - even the time. But you know, perhaps I just might.... :-)

Mari said...

Как жаль, что я практически ничего не поняла...
Очень хотелось бы у Вас учиться!
Ваши работы очень интересны!

Kittyj said...

Your classes rock! You have been more then generous with information AND access! Giving us old students a chance for access when the class is ongoing again is fantastic! If any of you readers have been hesitant to take an online class - DO IT! You won't be sorry!

Ashley Inzer said...

Hi! I am a regular reader but I have been shy until now. I wanted to let you know that I ran across this website today that had the tagline "Find a new home for your Ning blogs with us." And I immediately thought of you. Now I haven't researched it and I have used Ning very little so I am not sure if it would be a good replacement. But here is the link just in case...http://posterous.com/switch/ning/. Have a great day, you are such an inspiration!

Rustic Tarts said...

Hi Alisa

I am doing an online class with Kelly Kilmer and she has had the same problem. Kelly has switched from Ning to a Yahoo group, so if you want to contact her for more details, I'm sure she could help.
(kellykilmer.blogspot.com)

jane eileen said...

I have signed up for your classes, and I'm not gonna be mad! Other online classes with similar situations have moved the class to a private blog with pictures on flickr and comments/communication on a Yahoo group. This is the case with more than one of my online classes. Just an FYI, not telling ya what to do 'cause I don't know if it meets what works the way you do things. Thanks!

Roberta said...

Hello Alisa...I'm with Anzouya and I've taken ezines with Teresa McFadden on typepad and she sets them up as individual blogs with unlimited access with passwords, etc. ALSO have taken on-line classes with Mary Ann Moss and she also uses Typepad with videos inserted with vemo. Mary Ann however does put a time frame on her classes. Typepad has several differen pro plans and mine is 149/for 3 blogs...if this helps! Fondly, Roberta
http://con-tain-it.typepad.com

Elizabeth in NM said...

I have taken classes at Quilt University, where after the regular class has finished, the instructor has invited anyone who is interested in continuing on to a private Yahoo group. You have full control over who has access to the group, and it is a great way to continue to explore the techniques presented in the class, Q and A, post photos, etc. and it is FREE! A possibility for you?

Looking forward to taking one of your classes! (for now, I have your DVD).

Francoise MELZANI LAURENTI said...

I like your work
I want to participate...
how to do ?
where is the link ?
thank you to tell me

Dora said...

Hi Alisa,
I have taken one of your class and I totally understand you regarding the new changes you have to make.
Keep up the good work and i can't wait to see your new creations :))

Karen said...

You are not alone in your difficulties with Ning. The Creative Awakenings site with Sheri Gaynor is also experiencing similar issues. Perhaps you can convo and come up with some solutions.

Dotti said...

Alissa, Think about this alternative to ning: I am currently taking a class on line. All of the instructions and video are offered on a private blog thru blogger. And we are interacting thru comments.

With another class with a private blog, there was also a Yahoo group set up so we could all chit chat and upload pictures of our work, ask questions, and interact.

Another class I took was done thru just a Yahoo group. Although you can't embed video in the group...you can link to it. All the freeboes/downloads and instructions are done thru PDF and DOC files in the file section.

I think you can have your (cup)cake and eat it too!

Carmen said...

Seems Ning has upset and is going to lose a lot of people. Can't understand why they are doing it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails