Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Altered Candy Box Tutorial

While I find most of the merchandise in stores this time of year pretty darn lame, it is the only time of year when you can get all kinds of heart shaped forms, doo-dads and boxes for super cheap- like those really tacky little boxes of chocolate! I bought a few for $1 each at my local drugstore that I turned it into a cute little box and pin cushion for all of my needles!


Start by eating all the candy in the box :)
and get rid of any wrapping and evidence of candy consumed!


Paint over the entire box both inside and out.


Trace the shape of the heart onto a piece of fabric


Paint the fabric with watered down paint
(I chose simple circles and used the prettiest pinks and reds out there from Claudine Hellmuth's Studio paint!)

Let dry.


Place the fabric on top of a piece of batting (used for quilting) and doodle with your sewing machine.
I used my pink dots as a starting point and added flower detail to spot of color.


Once satisfied with the surface, cut out another heart for the back.


Sew the edges together and leave a small space open for stuffing.




Once the heart is stuffed, glue down to the surface of the candy box.
note-There are a number of different options to create this tufted look but I chose the quickest and easiest- glue! Fabric glue, tacky glue or even hot glue will all work.


Last, I embellished the edges with a row of little white dots of fabric paint.


I filled the box with all my needles,

and used the top for my pins!

32 comments:

polishedtwo.etsy.com said...

Wow -- your sewing machine doodles are amazing! You turned a kitschy box into a work of art and a handmade keepsake. Love it!

jane eileen said...

How stinkin' cute is that!

Jessica said...

oh I really like this idea. Way to redeem the gratuitous valentine kitsch.

Dianne said...

Love this idea... I'm definitely going to have to learn to sew!

dining room tables said...

Wow! This is so cute. Thanks for sharing this tutorial. I would love to make one for myself.

Kittyj said...

LOL! I can't say it any better then jane eileen!!! I just got my sewing machine fixed! Yay! Still - I can't imagine doing sewing machine doodles!!! COOL!

Anna said...

what a lovely and great idea!
thanks for the tutorial!!!
and for telling me what kind of paint you use!
xxx

Unknown said...

What a great idea... Love it!

PS. A side note, I have a ninth grader in my painting class, formally from CA. Yesterday when I was playing the jazz that you recommended on your video, She asked, Mrs.M I love this music who is it? This is a first...
I was so excited.

peggy said...

Adorable, you are so darn good, love your thinking process. Can't believe you can do that great making doodles on your machine, thats hard (i've tried it). Your amazing, much appreciated. peggy

Melissa M (Lagaz) said...

Man I have to getone of those Foots for my sewing machine! I want to try that, you make it look so easy :)

Ella said...

Love this; Thanks for sharing, a great way to take the trashy and amp it up! Now, what to do with all that chocolate?! mmmmhhhh
This kind of footloose sewing looks fun!
Thanks!

Yvette said...

great and thanks

yvette

Jane LaFazio said...

LOVE this!!! adorable AND a excuse to eat candy!

Refashionology said...

This is an amazing idea! Thank you! I have a heart shaped box I've been hanging onto, knowing there had to be something I could do with it and you've given me the answer! Love it!
Kathleen

Bee Yourself Fabrics said...

Oh my goodness! What a clever idea! You never fail to inspire us! Thanks so much for sharing!

Melly Testa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melly Testa said...

FANTASTIC. I love this, it is both simple and grand!

Jo Wholohan said...

love lovlove this alisa xx

Carrie Me! said...

I just received one of these boxes, can't wait to fix it up =)

Adrian said...

Thank you again, Alisa, for a wonderful idea! Will make a great gift to... Me!

Katherine Herriman said...

That's it, you've made me want to buy a sewing machine. I'm so inspired right now. Looove your sewed doodles.

elenor said...

thank you for sharing that lovely work!I like it very much and I surely will give it a try.
I wish you the best! greetings from Austria!
heidi

Anonymous said...

I like this too!!! I am currently browsing through your previous tutorials. Loving them so far because you are able to use stuff that I see laying around my house everyday that's just screaming, "Don't throw me away!"

Anonymous said...

Oh and i like the idea of doodling with my sewing machine. I never tried that before. NOW I AM!

Large Wall Mirrors Gal said...

Wow it's really cute and really nice. This awesome tutorial. I really appreciate with your creative idea. keep it up friend.

Dining Tables Gal said...

This is one of the Fantastic blogs that we all can have a look with lots of interest

Dining Tables Gal said...

This is a one of the most fascinating blogs that i have ever red

El said...

wow!! you did great! I love the originality of your works!
All these things that you do so colourfull are so beautiful!

wall mirror said...

So beautiful. You've got a great sewing machine.

elenor said...

i made 3 hearts following your great tutorial - THANK YOU! one of them became the cover of a little selfmade book i made for my son as a wedding present. i think it turned out really lovely; if you are interested you can see it here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/96796898@N03/
i finally opened a flickr site.
And let me say, i really enjoy your blog. your creativity is always an inspiration. and i also love your books!
best wishes for you and your family
elenor

Unknown said...

still great!

I linked to your tutorial on my blog - thanks for sharing!


♥, doro von Hand zu Hand

gibbygoo56 said...

So beautiful! I love it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails