Monday, February 01, 2010

Creative Meltdown



Since returning home from Anaheim last week I have been in a creative flurry of activity (visualize tasmanian devil with a paintbrush!) trying to get things finished, orders filled, grasping at opportunities, planning for the future, holding on to momentum and on and on and on. After working for at least 10 hours each day last week and then 13 hours straight on Saturday I began to feel myself hitting a wall and Sunday I had a meltdown. One of those crying, every issue, frustration, fear, insecurity comes out kind of meltdown (don't worry, I usually have one of these every couple of months and always end up feeling better). It was in my explosion of tears and talking with my husband that I began to realize the problem...

my name is Alisa Burke and I am a workaholic!

Now that I have been living my dream of working full time as an artist, I've realized that I am slowly turning onto one of those people who eats, breathes, and worships their work! And while working for myself ROCKS- things are not always creative and happy in my world! I am now answering some big questions, overcoming challenges and trying to figure out self employment and self care. To be honest- it is wearing me down! Insert meltdown here. So I forced myself to take a couple days away from my blog (and other things) this weekend to just chill out a bit and put a little balance back into my life. But tomorrow I will be back and have a SUPER cool tutorial and giveaway planned!


11 comments:

kittyj said...

While I can't wait for the super cool tutorial and giveaway - I know you are a workaholic and we all appreciate it because you give so much but please take care of yourself!!! xox

peggy said...

I am the same way, I go go go then melt down. Have never figured out not to do this and I am 67 so good luck. Actually I do "stop" sometime but when I get creative, watch out. Taking your class has me franticly painting and now my back is hurting but love looking at my work. You give so much in your video's, I feel like there is so much material you presented, it could be a 12 week course. Take care of yourself, we do appreciate your time and talent so much. thank you.

Jennifer Williams said...

I'm sorry to read this. I hope you are able to find some sort of balance that works for you.

Take care of yourself first. Art will always be there.

Kathleen Kibblehouse said...

"They" say that if you love what you do you'll never work a day in your life. Maybe consider keeping regular studio hours - I know that's tough cuz when the inspiration strikes...Also maybe consider hiring a virtual assistant for just 2-4 hours per week to help with some of the clutter. A lot of small and start-up work-from-home businesses are utilizing them. Deep breaths.

Tracie Lyn Huskamp said...

OH BOY... do I understand these feelings....I could easily insert my name into everyone of those statements.

Hard to know which way to turn sometimes. Being kind to yourself is a start and trying to beat yourself up.

I always feel guilty about answering emails several days late.... UGH.

BIG HUGS from Kansas!!!

Anonymous said...

Dear Alisa,
I read somewhere that growth in your work requires periods of almost mindless detachment in order to progress. If not we are just trapped on the ever racing treadmill of rehashing our work.
Sounds like you have begun to grasp this. Enjoy some down time and detach. See you later.
Missy from the bayou

Mary said...

Hi Alisa, I have just signed up for one of your classes, which I am so excited about - I have such a thing for graffiti! I also ordered several of your stamps!

Even good things can become a burden. Take the time needed to rest and refresh!!!

sofia's sketchbook said...

how do you want to live????
wow!!! that's a hard question to answer.......i'm so sorry you had a meltdown.....but those are needed in order to see the pyramid....to see what's first!!! what's at the top!!!! i had so many things at the top of my pyramid before becoming a mom - very different story now.........so the way i wanted to live 5 years ago very different than the way i want to live now.....and i'm sure it will be different 10 yrs from now.....
my best advise is to have fun doing what you love.....reconsider if the stress level is too high....
by the way love that heart!!!!! and i will miss you when you take your break!!!!!

Jane LaFazio said...

Hi Alisa! I hope you really did take a break and that you feel better. It's amazing how hard we can drive ourselves, isn't it?
hugs

Annie said...

Sounds like you need an intern to help you out with all those orders and planning!!!
I'm excited you're doing so well with the business, though!!
<3 Annie

Schoolfotograaf said...

Dank jullie wel voor de schoolfoto's; echt een mooi portret van onze dochter.For more information kindly visit:- Schoolfotograaf

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails