Monday, January 19, 2015

tin tile coffee table

I've been busy tackling all kinds of DIY projects around the house and something I have been putting off for WAY too long is remaking our ottoman. A few years back I bought a big tufted ottoman in a very light beige and over the last 3 years, the fabric was destroyed by a certain (cute) someone (thank goodness for our white slip covered couch). From spilled juice to permanent markers, the ottoman was pretty disgusting and it was time to figure something out. 

Before getting rid of it, I thought I would at least see if there was something under the stuffing and fabric that I could salvage. I considered making a slip cover for it but I really wanted a coffee table with a surface that could actually be used. Much to my delight, there was a nice sturdy wood frame underneath. At first I thought I would tile it with glass tiles but then I came across faux tin tiles at my local Home Depot and I thought they would make a really cool coffee table!

I have to say this was one of easiest projects I have tackled! The tiles, while they look like tin are actually a light weight plastic (they can even be painted) that you can adhere with heavy duty double stick tape or construction adhesive. I cut my tiles to size- they come in large sheets- and then covered the entire table (top and sides). It was SO fast and easy- even Lucy helped out with this one

The result is a really cool large coffee table that has a little bit of a boho vibe to it.

25 comments:

Jen xo said...

oh love this, have been trying to figure out how to cover my 90's chunky decoupaged coffee table, this would be perfect.....it looks gorgeous with your rug too..

Unknown said...

This looks beautiful! What a fun and exciting makeover!

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

LOVE IT!

jabbott said...

Your table is so cool I would have this table : )

jabbott said...

Gave you mention on my blog think your really talented. look out for my new art blog this year x

Val said...

Your ingenuity knows no bounds! This is such a cool idea. Right now I'm looking around my living room to see if there's anything I can cover with faux tin tiles

Virginia said...

Fantastic idea!

Much More Stuff said...

I used these "tin" sheets for my kitchen backsplash, looks fab. They also sell strips to slide raw edges into for a nice finished edge that also prevents sharp edges.

Catherine Athena Louise said...

It looks fabulous... Wonderfully Moroccan! I love it.

Anoushka said...

love this!! i've been humming/ha-ing over whether or not to have a coffee table at all (been thinking a trunk would be good/extra storage) but i really love this idea! now where to find tin tiles lol!

**Anne** said...

It's awesome, love it.
Anne xx

I'm Sara. said...

This is awesome!! Now to find something to remake… :)

Anonymous said...

The transformation is just beautiful.
Barb
NC

stefanie stark said...

Your coffeetable looks breathtaking! I love it so much to visit your blog! There is always a wonderful surprise waiting for me :) Thank you so much for all your delightful inspiration!

studioGypsy said...

absolute love lovelove!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jo Murray said...

Oh boy!...that worked well. What a great idea.

Virginia J Bailey said...

What a great idea. It looks so unique.

Carol McCready said...

Fabulous table.

Jahmari said...

Thanks for this awesome idea! I have ottoman that I had planned to reupholster but after seeing this I think this is a much better idea.

Unknown said...

There is lot of articles on the web about this on topic of a site.
But I like to give you more,although i found one that’s more dateils.It's rather a nice useful little bit of information.

Tile shop

soang sawah said...

wow gorgeous coffee table decoration, I liked it, think about how much money needed to purchase equipment and make it as attractive as it was? I want to try :)
thanks

Unknown said...

wow its almost the same shape as Coffee Table With Storage, Coffee Table is very elegant;) you are very creative :)

Unknown said...

New Birth day wishes

Birth day wishes for GF (girlfriend)

Birth day wishes for lover

Birth day wishes in marathi

Birth day wishes In Hindi

Birth day wishes for Best friend

Festival wishes

SMS wishes

Sanjay Sharma said...

All pic are very nice.......
Packers And Movers Kolkata Salt Lake
Packers And Movers Kolkata Garia
Packers And Movers Kolkata Dumdum
Packers And Movers Howrah
Movers And Packers Howrah
Movers And Packers Burdhwan
Packers And Movers Burdhwan
Packers And Movers Kolkata Garia
packers and movers kolkata jadavpur
packers and movers kolkata baguiati

Packers And Movers Mumbai

Packers And Movers in Kolkata
Packers Movers
Movers And Packers in Kolkata
Packers Movers in Kolkata
Packers And Movers Durgapur
Packers And Movers Kharagpur
Movers And Packers Kharagpur
Best Packers And Movers
Best Packers And Movers Kolkata
Movers And Packers
Movers And Packers
packers and movers
Office Movers In India
Office Relocation Services
Office Movers In Kolkata

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails