Wednesday, January 07, 2015

a peek inside my art journal


Over the holiday break I made myself a large art journal (measures around 10 x 10 inches). It is full of hand painted paper, scraps of wrapping paper, Lucy's drawings and a lot of blank watercolor paper. Like the rest of my handmade art journals we bound it with a spiral using my Bind-It-All. Since I took a little break from work during the holidays I actually spent a lot of time filling the pages with ideas, drawings, paintings, photos and doodles. While I have a lot more pages to fill, it was really fun to take time to time to just play around. For me an art journal, especially one with different papers and surfaces, is a wonderful place to experiment!
While you won't find me scrap booking (I'd rather just throw our photos into photo boxes), I've always enjoyed incorporating favorite photos into my art journals and sketchbooks. Recently I bought a little VuPoint Photo Cube- it is a little printer that prints off of your mobile device (no I was not paid for this mention! I did my research and this product fit my budget and my needs). 

It's a fun little device for printing small quantities of photos and it is small and portable so it is really easy to pack up and take on with you!

You also won't find me using any archival techniques to attach photos to my pages- I simply use tape! My art journal really isn't a place where things need to be perfect, instead it is a place to experiment and visually document the things in my brain and my life. Right now I am loving Scotch Expressions colorful and patterned tape.

p.s. I've got another batch of handmade art journals in the shop HERE!

17 comments:

CREATIVE KHADIJA said...

Love..Love..Loveeeeeeeeeeee it :)

dawn said...

I love this!!! Can't wait for class to start, will be so fun! Thanks for sharing how your printing pictures, I'm looking for a small printer for a special project I'm doing this year. How do you print photos from your big camera?

dawn said...

WOW!! Looked at your new journals and they are GORGEOUS, AMAZING AND AWESOME!! I want one of each, lol.

marie said...

This albums are wonderful!! I especially love how you included Lucy's work in it.
Thanks for the tip about the printer!

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

LOVE the photos! Thanks for letting us PEEK into your journals. They are very ENLIGHTENING!

Alisa Burke said...

Dawn, I just download them and typically get them printed (I will use either Costo or Snapfish).

Unknown said...

You are so talented! I love your works...I was in Paris with my boyfriend two days ago and I'm also going to make a diary like you.

Brooke said...

This is so great! I just ordered thsi printer, it's exactly what I need. Thanks for doing the leg work on the research :)
Happy New Year!

Emily Stowe said...

This is awesome! You've inspired me to create one with 52 pages, so I can do a page a week for the year. I have a hard time making time to regularly create, I usually go in spurts of all or nothing. This will make sure I do something every week, and it will be quick to just do one page! I don't ever comment, but you really inspire me a lot, Alisa!

dawn said...

Thanks for answering, didn't know if you had a bigger printer at home. I just snagged one of your art journals and signed up for a class, YAY!! A belated Christmas gift from hubby after raving about them all day. Can't wait to get the journal, might save it till March when class starts or use it now and buy another one later. Thanks again Alisa!

ZanziBach said...

It is so amazing! I will definitely need to make one for year 2015! Thank You for your wonderful ideas!

Megan P. Ernst said...

These are so gorgeous and I'm loving all the fun, bright colors!

Summer said...

Simply amazing! I love how crisp everything is and I'm seriously envious of your handwriting!

Unknown said...

Amazing!! These are so beautiful!!! What kind of art journal do you use?

studioGypsy said...

sooo dreamy!! i think i need one of those cool little printers. xoxo

Anonymous said...

MAGNIFIQUE!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Omg! So beautiful, creative, inspiring, different and a bit of everything, luv it.














LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails