Monday, July 06, 2015

wood burned tabletop

I love wood burning projects and when I recently found a round piece of wood in our shed I thought it would be the perfect surface to burn and transform into a side tabletop. 

Since it was round, I thought a mandala design on top would be perfect! 
To begin, I used a compass and a ruler to map out my design. 

Using my Wood Hollow Creative Woodburner Pen I got to work burning my design.

This kind of work can be tricky. To begin, it takes a lot of time to burn into a piece of wood this big and your hands will get really sore. I like to work on something this large in stages over the course of a couple of days. 

It's also tricky because hard and cheap wood (like the piece that I used) can have a lot of grain and knots in it. The process can be challenging because the grain and the knots won't burn the evenly- there will be a lot of "interruptions" in the design. I personally don't mind. I actually love the character of wood grain and the imperfections but you could use a softer wood with less visible grain for a smooth burn.

After a lot of hours and a sore hand I finished the mandala. 
The last step was to use brackets to attach the tabletop to metal legs


Check out all of my wood burning projects below.


22 comments:

Virginia said...

Absolutely gorgeous!

Лариса Заброцкая said...

It's so interesting! thanks!!

Susan said...

Beautiful piece!

Moois van mie said...

nice one ! I find it difficult to make curved lines with a woodburner.

Creative Khadija said...

This is AMAZING!!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely amazing!!

Julia @ Vintage with Laces said...

Just gorgeous, Alisa!

Jo Murray said...

Your love of pattern has served you well Alisa. I think the imperfections cause by grain etc. add character.

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to exploring your mandala class, and LOVE your engineer prints. = )

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! A really lovely table top. I've always loved wood burning since I first came across it as a child.

Sara

moongirl said...

love love love the table!

Unknown said...

Gorgeous. I love wood burning, but do find that my hand cramps a ton! Something that large would take me forever. When I was born my dad did a gorgeous wood burning on the back of a rocking chair for my mom. Covered it with roses... he also made me a series of wood burned plaques with all of the care bear characters. It is such an art and I wish I saw it more now days.

adi said...

Georgeus!

Liz said...

Oh my goodness Alisa! What a beautiful piece! The LORD has certainly blessed you with the gift of creativity! I want to learn how to be proficient in wood burning! So many great things to be made! :o)
Love and blessings from Oklahoma!

cheryl.mccann said...

i love it! could you please tell me where you got the metal legs?

fabrycat said...

WOW! The table is just awesome!!
http://fabry-cat.blogspot.com

cheryl.mccann said...

i love it! could you please tell me where you got the metal legs?

Sandy Walker said...

I love how you keep finding new surfaces to add your art! The design can go on a piece of wood, a pillow case, a canvas, etc etc. You have shown us how to turn one tool (wood burner) into another tool (pencil or paint brush). Thanks! I am always on the look out for new surfaces and new tools, and am inspired by your work. Sandyartparts.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

so gorgeous.. love it!

www.rsr-art.blogspot.com

Zsófi V said...

It was so good to see these beautiful wood burning ideas. My grandfather used to work with wood and bones. I learned all about wood from him and it's been a long time I'd like to use wood burning on some of my decorations. Unfortunately the wood burner doesn't open. Could you tell the brand, please? Thanks in advance.:)

Marni @ Haberdashery Fun said...

You are one talented lady!! Holy smokes your table is amazing.. :)

Mrs. Kelley Dibble said...

mrskjdibble@juno.com

Dear Alisa,

I have a new item on my Christmas wish list: a wood burning tool!

However, I want to know where you have your large photo reprints made please. The largest one I've had reprinted was a 12x18 from Walmart. Turned out great. I had laundered my 30+ year old wedding gown and veil, hung it high from a tree on a beautifully sunny day, photographed it and had it printed in B&W. The gorgeous print hangs in our bedroom.

I love the posts on the wood burning! Merry Christmas!

Kelley~
E-addy above

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails