Wednesday, December 22, 2010

cinnamon crusties

IMG_5438
Its that time- time to start all that last minute baking! I come from a family who appreciates baked goods and a favorite is homemade pie but and when making pie you always have leftover dough from the crust. My grandmother always used all those leftover scraps and turned them into what we call "cinnamon crusties". This year I decided to skip the pie and just make a HUGE batch of these little crusties.


IMG_3961

My favorite pie crust recipe comes from the back of a crisco can and it is what my grandmother used for YEARS! Super easy to make and really yummy- a classice pie crust.
1 1/3 cup of flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup crisco shortening

3-6 tablespoons of ice cold water

BLEND flour and salt in medium mixing bowl.
Cut in shortening into flour mixture, using a pastry blender (or a fork) until mixture resembles coarse crumbs with some small pea-sized pieces remaining.

SPRINKLE half the maximum recommended amount of ice cold water over the flour mixture. Using a fork, stir and draw flour from bottom of bowl to the top, distributing moisture evenly into flour. Press chunks down to bottom of bowl with fork. Add more water by the tablespoon, until dough is moist enough to hold together when pressed together.

Test dough for proper moistness by squeezing a marble-sized ball of dough in your hand. If it holds together firmly, do not add any additional water. If the dough crumbles, add more water by the tablespoonful, until dough is moist enough to form a smooth ball when pressed together.



IMG_3965

IMG_3966

Roll out the dough

IMG_5422

and using sugar and cinnamon and even a little nutmeg (optional- melted butter)

IMG_5423

sprinkle on the surface of the dough.

IMG_5424

Cut into triangles

IMG_5425

and roll up.

IMG_5427

Transfer to a baking sheet

IMG_5428

and bake for about 5-8 minutes at 400 degrees or until brown.

IMG_5437

Serve warm.

IMG_5431

I promise it will be hard NOT to eat the entire batch all by yourself (at least this is the problem that I have!)

IMG_3972

12 comments:

lekyvijay said...

HAPPY X MAS ALISA...............LEKSHMI

Ariadne said...

Another tasty recipe! Have a great Christmas with your family! Ariadne from Greece!

Laura said...

Wow these look delicious! I definitely am going to try to make sure I've got some left-over dough next time I find myself making some pie so I can make this one! Thanks for sharing and Merry Christmas to you!

Janet Ghio said...

We used to make those from leftover pie crust-but we didn't roll them up. Have a wonderful Christmas!!!

Denise said...

Yum! Yum!

Jane LaFazio said...

my mom would always make these too, with her leftover pie crust. Nice memory. thanks Alisa!

HerminiaRegolf said...

I wish you a holidays full of love & family, cheers!

giveto said...

waouuuuuhhhhhhhhh!!

JFibers said...

ohhhh... they look delicious.

OrangeFarmhouse / www.moodkids.nl said...

Warm Christmas wishes!

Bonnie said...

My mother made these for years except they were much bigger, rolled just like yours, baked, then cut into bite-size pieces. Her version uses brown sugar instead of white. They have now become a favourite around our house. And YES, it's very hard not to eat the whole thing myself!

Lynnetta said...

I just made a batch of these. Mine didn't turn out as pretty as yours though. I'll just have to make more and keep practicing!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails