Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Altered Striped Tank Tutorial

IMG_4015
When it comes to fashion I am TOTALLY obsessed with stripes- it is actually a little crazy how many different variations of striped shirts I have in my closet. And I also love pairing stripes with florals- there is something a little whimsical about stripes and flowers- they are so opposite they somehow make sense together- at least in my opinion. With summer here I am always looking for different ways to alter a cheap tank top and after finding a $7.00 striped tank at Target I knew I would be embellishing it with hand painted flowers and messy stitching.


IMG_9527


IMG_9462
I purchased a striped tank top in a size large and while I am a size small, I like room in my tanks. I have also found that if you are buying cheaper cotton tanks, buying a couple sizes bigger keeps them from shrinking after washing to a tiny little tank top that you will never wear again!


IMG_9465
Next I painted a bright floral design on fabric with dye and fabric paint.

Variation- if you are not up for painting your own flowers- skip the painting and find some fabric with big, bold and colorful flowers.

IMG_9468


IMG_9475
Once my fabric was dry and the color was heat set, I cut out the flowers to use as applique on the surface of my tank top.


sd
Since I had so many flowers that I planned on sewing up the side of my tank, I needed something to use for stability, something to keep them in the arrangement that I liked and to make it easier to sew. I had fusible interfacing on hand so I used a piece and laid it down on my tank (so I could see through) and then arranged my flowers in the way that I wanted to sew them to the surface.


IMG_9487
Next, I ironed the flowers (lightly and carefully) to the interfacing (not to the tank) just to tac them in the arrangement which again made it a little easier for me to sew and for stability.

Variation- You just could pick one big flower to sew- this would be much easier than lots and lots of flowers - not gonna lie- it's a little challenging!
OR
if you don't want to bother with any sewing you could also use a product like Heat and Bond and just iron on the flowers.


IMG_9488
Once the flowers were attached to the interfacing, I trimmed the excess interfacing from the edges of the flowers and set it aside.


IMG_9489
Next, I trimmed off the sides and the straps of the tank because I eventually wanted sew everything back together with colorful stitches on the outside- this is optional.

IMG_9490


IMG_9491
I pinned my floral arrangement to the front of the tank top.


IMG_9493
And then I sewed everything down with my darning foot- with lots and LOTS of messy stitches.

IMG_9495


gh
The last step was to sew the front, sides and straps back together and with red zig zag stitches on the outside.


shirt
And there you have it- a little piece of wearable art that I can add to my collection of stripes!


IMG_9514

IMG_9507

IMG_9515


If you are in the mood for more tutorials, a group of my creative pals are posting tutorials all week long- each day linking to more tutorials- We are calling it a tutorial tsunami!! Today Lyric Kinard has an amazing post about how to transform leather shoes into art- LOVE IT!

Also Diana Trout, Melly Testa and Jane LaFazio have more tutorials to keep you inspired!
I'll be tweeting about the rest of the tutes as they are posted- HAPPY CREATING!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails