Tuesday, March 26, 2013

homemade bird nest

A homemade bird nest is the perfect accessory for spring decorating or even Easter entertaining and I've come up with a very easy tutorial. All you need are a few simple supplies-

Brown paper napkins
Glue gun
Twigs, branches and moss
Cereal bowl

I started by twisting brown paper napkins and wrapping them around a bowl (this bowl will serve as a form for the nest). Using hot glue I attached the napkins to each other (do not glue to the bowl)by stacking and gluing as I went until I formed a nest.


I collected twigs and moss and glue them to the surface of the napkin nest.


Next, I used watercolors to add some shading and contrast the the napkins.

I will be using my nest as a centerpiece for the table so I found a long branch that I painted white and then tucked my nest into the branch.

Last, I filled the nest with pretty blue painted stones.



The result is a pretty little nest perfect for spring!

21 comments:

Shahrul Niza said...

Totally gorgeous!!!. The birds would be green with envy :). LOVE everything about it, the blue color against the mossy green, just perfect.

HollyM said...

This is one of the neatest ideas I've seen! I love the nest and the stones are beautiful!
I've been looking for a white pen that would work and I recently bought the Sharpie. I've followed the directions for using it but the paint either doesn't come out or comes out in puddles. Any suggestions?

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

Cute IDEA!

Unknown said...

I love this idea. I have in the past found bird nests and kept a few, I would put them on the Christmas Tree or use as decoration but they tend to fall apart and there is always the question - what about bugs!! So I will definitely try this. Thanks Alisa.

Consie @ AtopSerenityHill.com said...

Love the simplicity of the design plus the use of all the natural elements and colors.

Nichole said...

ADORABLE!!!!!

sandra said...

Brilliant!

Dianne said...

Lovely!

Colleayn said...

I love this! The whole thing is great.

mama bleu said...

I love everything about this Alisa!!

stefanie stark said...

The bird's nest looks beautiful!!! I fell totally in love with it!

Jyndza. said...

Cudowne gniazdko.

dawn said...

How cute this idea is, LOVE LOVE the blue stones. Thanks for sharing all these fun spring/easter egg ideas. Enjoying them all!

Amber said...

Oh my gosh, I was obsessed with making birds' nests as a kid! I'd use moss, grass, twigs and mud. Now you've got me wanting to make them (without the mud) again! Love this idea...

Anonymous said...

So cute! Love the idea of repurposing those paint chips.

Anonymous said...

Obviously meant that comment for an earlier post...sorry-o. Love these little birds nests too.

livethegoldenrule said...

How clever!!! I so love how you make such beautiful things out of just simple, pretty easy to get items. Thanks so much..... again! :D

Madeline Rains said...

I love this. I'll try to make the nest too and then fill it with the eggs from our farm that my MIL is dying with onion skins, turmeric and beets for Easter. Perfect for our centerpiece.

Donna said...

I absolutely love this!!! I will give this a try!
Thanks for sharing!

Shelley Haganman said...

Just stunning!! I am "lifting" this idea! :)

siga said...

Aww! Can't wait for some blue beauties to come out from these "eggs"!!! Very inspiring :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails