Saturday, October 29, 2011

guest post- everyday embellishments from Dawn Sokol

I have asked a few of my creative friends to help me out with my blog here and there during my time with a new baby and today's guest post comes to you from Dawn Sokol

IMG_0674

For me, art journaling is a natural form of creative expression. It’s also a way of documenting my life. I love to use various embellishments on my pages. When I first started creating, I would visit local scrapbook stores and buy up tons of manufactured embellishments, until I realized that the best ephemera to add to my pages is from the everyday...


IMG_0672

An apparel tag

IMG_0671

Fortune cookie fortunes are always a sure bet, along with postage from envelopes you receive.


IMG_0675

A rail ticket


IMG_0687

Part of makeup packaging


IMG_0681

A torn bit from a sugar packet and a fruit sticker


IMG_0684

A coffee cup wrapper


IMG_0688


IMG_0678

A wristband from a night out to see D.L. Hughley


IMG_0677

A piece of packing tape


Dawn DeVries Sokol is the author of Doodle Sketchbook: Art Journaling for Boys; Doodle Diary: Art Journaling for Girls; and 1000 Artist Journal Pages. She is also an avid art journaler, teacher, and lettering illustrator, and has designed books for publishers all over the U.S. She discusses doodling and art journaling on her blog, www.dblogala.com, where she also teaches online workshops. Register for her next workshop, Doodling December, until Dec. 1.

8 comments:

Lallabel said...

It's the same for me... I use to do scrapbooking with the materials of the day... I buy a little. I use colors and things I have at home.

Great journaling, I love yours!
Ciao dall'Italia

Theresa Plas said...

One quite never looks at "trash" the same way again:) Great Post Dawn! Loved seeing your special "embellies" in your journal.

Teddi said...

oh dawn how right you are, but the real beauty is the way you put them all together, in a way that looks effortless, like they all belong on one page.

Cat said...

All great ideas that will make all the difference in our journal pages. I haven't had much journal fodder lately or so I thought!! These are such good ideas. Thanks for the great post!!

Kathleen said...

The odds and ends of "real life" always make a journal come alive!

storybeader said...

I've always been a journaler, and adding art to my journals has just brightened up the pages. I love putting personal ephemera into my journal - I can better remember what was happening...
{:-Deb

Sandy said...

I do the same thing. I use regular scrapbook items because I have an addiction to paper and pens of course. I'm starting to notice I'm using more things around me in my journals. Great post Dawn and I can't wait for the class to start. I had so much fun in the summer class.

Marylinn Kelly said...

Like mail art, as I'm beginning to understand, journal pages become distinct and unique with found objects. But I will probably always be a fool for exciting paper.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails