Wednesday, October 22, 2014

a peek inside my sketchbook

One of the most important things that I teach in just about all of my classes is how important it is to always keep you eyes open for inspiration- it is what I like to call "finding your muse". In my opinion, taking time to seek ideas and inspiration off the computer and in the world around you is the only way that your work will be authentic to you and your life. 

I am always on the lookout for ideas and inspiration and keep a camera on me at all times- just in case something wonderful crosses my path. Well, recently something wonderful did cross my path. While driving to my favorite state park a giant herd of elk crossed the road (this tends to happen a lot here on the Oregon Coast) but something about the experience felt different. Maybe it was the mossy trees or the winding road or the way the light was shining down on a gigantic bull with huge antlers but the experience felt magical. 

I pulled over, grabbed my camera and tried to capture the moment as quickly as possible and I was able to capture a few photos before the herd disappeared into the forest. 

This little moment stuck with me- I couldn't stop thinking about those elk- and it is those types of moments that bring me the most inspiration and typically end up in my sketchbook.


I have been working on a little series of elk drawings inspired by that day. They are still in the works and I have no idea what I will do with them at this point but it always feels wonderful to get those ideas and that inspiration out of my head and onto paper. 


A couple of years ago I created a free little online class called- Finding Your Muse. If you would like to read more about how I seek inspiration, put that inspiration into practice and how I try to stay authentic as an artist, head on over to the class HERE



21 comments:

Gabrielle said...

Hi Alisa,
I just discovered your blog recently from over here in Germany and I love your work! I'm also impressed by the all the creativity you embrace all day, every day. Thank you for bringing back "old" content for those of us who are new to your blog. I think you're right about the Muse, she can be everywhere! You are very inspirational, thank you.

Unknown said...

Great sketches and photos!!!

steviewren said...

My first thought was what a great Alisa Christmas card this would be.

livethegoldenrule said...

I love this ! Magical is a good word. I feel the elk takes your work to a whole new level. :D

Anonymous said...

That is a lovely class Alisa and set me on a new pathway on my journey. However, although we do have things all around us to draw no matter where we live, if who you are in your heart and soul is nature and you live in a city, drawing that, is not reflecting your authentic self. In fact it is really conflicting. I really dislike drawing buildings and they are mostly what I see. Interesting as some of them are, they do not sing to me. In fact it makes you realise how much you want something different to be reflected in your art. Of course nature is everywhere, but there are no deer or brown bears strolling down the highstreet, no rolling hills, tumultuous waves etc. Just park land (luckily I have access to lots of it), which is relatively tamed nature. So to draw who I am, I have to actually get right back on to the internet to draw that deer in the forest that I long for and wish was part of my everyday.

I love your drawings, they are wonderful.
Sara

studioGypsy said...

crazy.beautiful!! xo

Kelley said...

Love that drawing!!! The combination of the natural and whimsical is gorgeous. Please sell a copy! :)

Alisa Burke said...

Oh Sara I totally understand and while I now live a life that is full of nature, I spent over 15 years living in cities and places that were not inspiring to me. In fact there were stages in my life when I hated the place that I lived and really struggled with inspiration and feeling like my heart was not in the right location. But being an artist- I still needed to work through the process of finding inspiration and I knew that I had to get out into my world and "surrender to where I lived". If I couldn't find flowers, plants, animals and the things that I loved in my backyard, I had to look for them. I spent a lot of time at the zoo, plant nurseries, parks and anywhere that had some aspect of nature. It wasn't my first choice but I found that working through the process of opening my eyes and seeking ideas in my environment completely changed my attitude and process and it reflected in my work. I know this philosophy is not for everyone but it is something that I am passionate about and a message that really needs to be shared with others. Hang in there Sara, I know what it feels like to not live where you heart is and all I can offer is encouragement to just do your best with what you have and then let the art making process take over. xoxoxo

Unknown said...

Beautiful! Thanks for the inspiration on this gray morning.

Jeanette said...

Absolutely magnificent! There is so much beauty all around us, we need to be aware and train ourselves to see out the small (and sometimes leads to huge) miracles...
Thanks for sharing! You have inspired me! :)

Mary W said...

I get those "moments" that you talked about quit often but never recorded them. Lost the memory of them quickly and never really thought about them as useful, just day dreaming. After this class I think I will keep my notebook closer at hand and record them. What great advice you have here and well said about the overwhelming amount of inspiration that I see on-line. Like eating too much cake!

Nadine Karen said...

This is GORGEOUS!

vintagerockchick said...

What a wonderful sight - both the original photo and your interpretation x

Stephanie said...

great drawings. Are the elk tall?

http://blog.timetocreate.com.au/ said...

Wonderful!

Unknown said...

what a great photo! awesomeness...

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

So Interesting!!!!!!!

dawn said...

I loved seeing this on IG, so cool and I want one too. What a cute idea and takes up less space too, YAY! How fun you and Andy are coming up with ideas all the time for Lucy and your home.

The above post is beautiful, how exciting to run into a Elk, beautiful pictures. I love that you too had to get out of your head and onto paper. That is what happens to me also, just have to get it out. I could see you doing lots of holiday things with these sketches, especially Christmas cards would be so pretty. Have fun with this new inspiration and for sharing it with us.

dawn said...

I also meant to add, thank you for that class. I have gone to it many times and helps me so much. You are so generous with your sharing here and I'm so thankful for it.

oklyous said...

Oh brilliant. What a good picture:) - lovely sketches.

Unknown said...

Heya i’m for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It really helpful & it helped me out a lot. I am hoping to present something again and aid others such as you helped me.
Best wall painting Nepal
Exterior paint colors Nepal
Paints colour ideas Nepal

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails