Wednesday, October 22, 2014

a peek inside my sketchbook

One of the most important things that I teach in just about all of my classes is how important it is to always keep you eyes open for inspiration- it is what I like to call "finding your muse". In my opinion, taking time to seek ideas and inspiration off the computer and in the world around you is the only way that your work will be authentic to you and your life. 

I am always on the lookout for ideas and inspiration and keep a camera on me at all times- just in case something wonderful crosses my path. Well, recently something wonderful did cross my path. While driving to my favorite state park a giant herd of elk crossed the road (this tends to happen a lot here on the Oregon Coast) but something about the experience felt different. Maybe it was the mossy trees or the winding road or the way the light was shining down on a gigantic bull with huge antlers but the experience felt magical. 

I pulled over, grabbed my camera and tried to capture the moment as quickly as possible and I was able to capture a few photos before the herd disappeared into the forest. 

This little moment stuck with me- I couldn't stop thinking about those elk- and it is those types of moments that bring me the most inspiration and typically end up in my sketchbook.


I have been working on a little series of elk drawings inspired by that day. They are still in the works and I have no idea what I will do with them at this point but it always feels wonderful to get those ideas and that inspiration out of my head and onto paper. 


A couple of years ago I created a free little online class called- Finding Your Muse. If you would like to read more about how I seek inspiration, put that inspiration into practice and how I try to stay authentic as an artist, head on over to the class HERE



LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails