Friday, July 13, 2012

fashion friday- oven bake clay charms

Untitled-1
If I you didn't already know I have parents who are potters and having spent a lifetime around clay I'd like to think I have picked up a thing or two- except the patience it takes to endure the process that working with clay involves! So when I was inspired to create some clay charms I decided to take a short cut and use oven-bake clay with the goal to try and not make it NOT look like oven bake clay!

f
After coming across some fun molds for cake decorating I had the idea to use them with my clay. (FYI- just about anything with a relief to the surface will work!)
I simply pressed the clay into the mold.


IMG_7265
I trimmed excess clay from the edges

Untitled-1
and then poked a hole into the top.
Next I baked my clay charms in the oven at 320 degrees for 30 minutes.


IMG_7280
After the charms were baked and cooled, I used gold acrylic paint to fill all the tiny details.


IMG_7281
IMG_7284
IMG_6088
IMG_6089
IMG_7287
Last, I inserted a jump ring to each charm and then added them to a chain.

IMG_6112
The result...super simple but pretty little charm necklace!


IMG_6108
IMG_6101

25 comments:

marie said...

These are wonderful! I've done similar round designs with clay and gold paint. But the leafs design is beautiful!
Love the molds you used!!

................. said...

This is awesome!!! Love the gold touches. Xo

Spela said...

OMG...you are just crazy...everything you do it is more than beautiful (including Lucy) :)))

I really enjoy wathcing your stuff and lear from you! :)

HRANDICA said...

Simple and amazing. Uau! Like it!

Sandy said...

Love this. I too love the mold you used. Great idea.

kamillku said...

German clay and American design... a great combination...love this!

Best wishes from good old Germany,
Kamilla

Diya said...

loved reading this post. I too enjoy myself a lot playing with clay and moulds ;) its fun

Terriaw said...

What a great idea! I love the molds you used - good to know they were in the cake decorating section. The gold paint touches and the gold chains really make these pieces look fabulous. Thank you for sharing!

astr!d said...

those are great!!!

donna said...

Ooooh, such fabuness! I love it that they dont look like polymer! I feel inspired. I use clay and the kiln and you clearly know how that is SO not instant gratification. But this is. I love seeing what local artists are up to. More please! ;) Oh, and welcome back!
Donna

toni said...

That's too funny because I JUST got that fondant mold because I'been a jewelry making fool with clay lately. I'm in the process of baking my leaf earrings now. I've made some amazing cuff bracelets you can see if you look at my blog

http://kharliebug.com

Handige An said...

Love this idea!
May I ask: where did you buy that mold? I love that design!

Love from Holland :)

Unknown said...

These are just lovely! I think they might make awesome gifts this year. I hope you are loving being back at the coast!

Anonymous said...

Your posts ALWAYS inspire - thank you.
xo
Gabrielle

Jaimie said...

I commented on this on instagram, but I just love how these turned out.. so pretty and rustic but feminine.

Bonita Rose said...

love love... I bought some molds tonite.. so gonna try it! You so inspire me... this looks easy.. I can't wait to try it!

Clivia Schmidt said...

Great!
I love it!

Serena Lewis said...

Beautiful charms!

ladydazy said...

Beautiful, I can't wait to try this!

Ginger said...

I have been following your blog for a while and find it a great inspiration. I love these pendants and MUST make some. Thanks for the tutorial!

Cindy Lietz, Polymer Clay Tutor said...

It is great to see you featuring polymer clay Alisa! There is no more versatile artist medium... but then I am biased! :)

web design ventura said...

I love this tutorial. Nice pendants you made. I so love the the artistic and very creative way you put on this one. I am so amazed.

Art Confessions said...

These are beautiful! I was just wondering if there are any major differences between oven bake clay and air dry?

Tanya

Unknown said...

Adorei a ideia de usar tinta acrílica em cerâmica plastica

msminimode said...

awesome!!! can't wait to try it. ty

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails