Saturday, October 22, 2011

guest post- hand stitching journal pages from Jane LaFazio

I have asked a few of my creative friends to help me out with my blog here and there and today's guest post comes to you from Jane LaFazio!


journal pages stitches drawings
I love hand stitching and have been embroidering since I was 16 years old. And yet, I use the same ol’ handful of stitches in my work, frankly, because they’re easy and I love them! I nearly always use variegated thread, so it makes even the simplest stitches look cool.


journal pages stitches handout
I needed a handout for one of my classes, to show the students my basic stitches and I didn’t want to use someone else’s instructions—so I drew my own instructions in my journal! Then of course, I needed a stitched sample. I stitched on plain felt, and glued it next to the illustration stitch page in my mixed media journal. For the students, I created a handout with images of my journal page here is a peek-


cross stitch

cross stitch b

backstitch b (2)

backstitch b (1)



french knot
french knot b

couching b (2)
couching b

button hole wheel (2)

chain _daisy b

button hole wheel (1)

button hole wheel b

blanket

blanket b

running stitch

running stitch b

journal page stitches


Jane face

Jane LaFazio, a full-time artist since 1998, truly believes she is living the life she was meant to live! In that time, she has cultivated a wide range of skills as a painter, mixed media, quilt artist and art teacher. She’s known for her fun-loving, creative teaching style, and providing a relaxed supportive environment in the classroom. She teaches workshops online and at art retreats internationally. Jane’s artwork has been featured in Cloth, Paper, Scissors and Quilting Arts magazines many times, and in Danny Gregory’s An Illustrated Life, and in numerous books.Jane has made 7 appearances on Quilting Arts TV, in season 300 and 800.
Her instructional DVDs “
From Art Journaling to Art” and “The Small Art Quilt” is available on Amazon.

JaneLaFazio.com JaneVille.blogspot.com


21 comments:

ingridp said...

Really pedagogic blogpost. Thank you. Love The drawings mixer with photöos.

Virginia Crandall said...

Thanks, Alisa, I love Jane's work! I, also, do a lot of hand-stitching, but this compact little diagram will remind be to add new types of stitches--I'm putting it on my favorites. Hope you are getting enough sleep--your baby is beautiful.

se7en said...

Would you look at the journal page - love the mix of media!!! Love it!!! Really beautiful... hope you have a fun weekend!!!

Teddi said...

jane's hand-stitched page is completely wonderful, & full of texture! her companion drawings are very nice, as well.

Linda's Art Quilts said...

Jane's posting makes me want to break out a needle and stitch.

Rose Clearfield said...

Fun tutorial! I love the idea of using these stitches for journal pages.

HeARTworks said...

This inspires me to do some embroidery cause it looks like fun! Patsy from
HeARTworks

Jacqueline said...

So nice to meet you! Jane is just adorable and I love her work. It is so amazing and would be such a fun addition to journaling.

Anonymous said...

Thank you! My sewing machine hates me, so I tend to skip over most sew-y type things, but your pages are very detailed yet have easy-to-follow instructions. I have a whole bunch of felt "leaves" that I just made and hate, so I think they may become my test subjects :)

Lindy and Paul said...

This is great, SO helpful! Where do you get the variegated floss. Are you dyeing it yourself?

Denise Mulligan said...

Jane's stitch sketch book is inspiring, makes me want to go do some fabric work myself.

I'm amazed at all you get done... the crafts, the great blog, all of the wonderful creative ideas that you share with us. Just want to let you know that we your readers, are so lucky to have you! Thank you so much!

I love the photo of you, baby and husband. What a wonderful couple and now family!

I wish much peace and blessings to you all!

Denni

jabbott said...

Learned something new

jabbott said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eniko said...

I learned these stitches from my Hungarian mother...thanks for inspiring me to pick up an embroidery needle again!

sara said...

im in love with your blog!

Barnicles said...

great stitches, i am definately going to practise them! very useful having them all in same place. :)

Cynthia Rahardja Clancy said...

How incredibly beautiful these instructions are! As you can see here: http://moonlacephoto.blogspot.com/2011/09/photo-stitching-project.html
I have started stitching recently. It's mostly a skill that I try to remember from when I was in middle school (too long ago). I am now inspired to add a few more stitches to my projects. Thank you!!

вебпромо said...

I am great fan of your blog.Every time i come here i see something very new.Thanks for sharing the information.

Anonymous said...

Eeps! Cute embroidery instructions!

web promo said...

I even told my friends to take a look at your blog and in fact your blog is already bookmarked on my computer.

Unknown said...

I know this is quality based blogs along with other stuff.where to find blogger outreach service

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails