Thursday, September 02, 2010

painted puzzle tutorial

IMG_0892

Recently I gathered some fun things for a birthday package that I was putting together to send off to my friend's little girl. While doing my weekly browsing at Target's dollar bin, I came across a puzzle for $1 and suddenly had the idea to paint over it to make a brand new colorful kids puzzle to include in the package. This puzzle was super easy and would actually make a great project create with kids!


IMG_0851
I started with the puzzle- how boring was it before?!?!?


IMG_0853
I painted over everything with acrylic paint.
Tip- mix a little white paint with your color to get better coverage when painting over something with dark images.

IMG_0854
I painted over the base and the frame of the puzzle


IMG_0855
and let it all dry.


IMG_0864
Once everything was dry, I took apart the puzzle just to make sure that nothing was sticking to each other.

Another tip- when painting a cheaper chipboard or cardboard puzzle- keep your brush dry (don't dip in water) and keep the paint thin. Too much moisture will cause the puzzle pieces to expand and contract.

IMG_0865
I put the puzzle back together...ummm...this took me forever...I am NOT a puzzle person!


IMG_0866
I then started to cover the surface with drawings ( I decided on a surface full of my favorite flower designs)


IMG_0870
Next I filled the flowers with color.


IMG_0874



IMG_0875
Once the entire surface was filled and the paint was dry I used a thin coat of gel matte medium (Claudine Hellmuth's FABULOUS gel medium to be exact!) to seal everything.


IMG_0876
VIOLA! A super cute, one of a kind kids puzzle! A perfect gift!


IMG_0883


IMG_2756 copy
Of course I couldn't resist taking it apart and putting it back together.

It took me forever and my husband had to step in and finish it for me :)


IMG_0890

IMG_2753

IMG_2741

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails