Tuesday, May 27, 2014

rug tote

I have this habit of browsing through the rug section of just about any store thinking, boy the pattern on that rug would make great fabric for a purse. And it finally dawned on me- why not just transform a rug into a purse?!? So I picked out a small rug and got busy turning it into a tote bag.

I bought a small rug and some fun purse handles. 

First I trimmed the edges off the rug and folded it in half.

Instead of using the sewing machine I used my favorite fabric glue-Fabric Fusion to attach the handles with two panels of rug (I used my scraps).

I closed up the sides, turned the purse right side out and VOILA...a super fun tote!

16 comments:

Kerstin said...

I love it♥
LG Kerstin

Sarah Shermann said...

Such a cute idea for small rug, I always see so many nice rugs and would have never thought to do anything like this

Unknown said...

Fantastic idea! I love it! Thanks for the inspiration!
Carpet Cleaners Chelsea

Unknown said...

Fantastic tote! Love it

janey jennings said...

Love It!

Ingrid Orens said...

Fantastic ! I love it - especially because it doesn't involve sewing ( my sewing machine and me have a love/hate affair...).
Thanks for the inspiration !

Anonymous said...

Way back when I was a teenager, I found a tote with the same kind of handles and it was made with old drapes, the kind with big printed flowers. I used it to carry my books at school. I still have it and I still love it.

Unknown said...

You´ve got perfect ideas!

Rosa said...

Gorgeous bag and fabrics.Thanks for the tutorial!!

Sandy said...

you are so inspiring. Love this idea.

Anonymous said...

Please please share where you found the rug!

Kristen

Jennifer @ Isette said...

Nice post, it reminded me of the carpet bag (and carpet baggers) of the 19th century / post Civil War reconstruction period:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpet_bag

Jeannie said...

Love it!!! One of my favorite "busy bags" is one I purchased from Jay Jacobs circa 1973. It is a rug piece with cloth handles. The rug is stitched to two dowels with round beads on each end. It is too big for everyday, so I am now on the hunt for a rug to create one like yours. Thanks1

Anonymous said...

Hi Alisa, this is just a genius idea! Would you share with us where you bought your rug and handles? I want to make this as a graduation gift! Thanks so much!

~Anna

Modern Country Lady said...

awesome.I would never have thought about ti but you have just opened new horizons for me with your creative thinking ! Thanks for the inspiration.Bea

Izzy said...

Neat idea!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails