Wednesday, November 09, 2011

guest post- paper earrings from Julie Fei-Fan Balzer

I have asked a few of my creative friends to help me out with my blog here and there during my time with a new baby and today's guest post comes to you from Julie Fei-Fan Balzer

PaperEarrings-sm
I love making something out of nothing! To make these earrings grab some paper.


2-twopaintcolors
I’m using deli paper, but you
can use anything, including fabric) and cover it with paint.



3-drybrush

4-drawpatterns
Draw all over it, add stenciled images, whatever makes you happy!

5-addstencils

6-foldoverdrawpattern
Fold the edge of the paper over and draw your basic earring shape.
Keep it simple.


7-cutout
Cut out the shape, and because of the fold, you’ll now have two matching pieces!


8-gluetobookpage
I like to glue my pieces to a book page for some added stability and a
bit of interest on the back.


9-cutout
Once the glue is dry, cut out the pieces.


10-meltingpot
Pre-heat your Melting Pot and melt some clear Ultra Thick Embossing
Enamel (UTEE) in it.


11-meltingpotDIP
Once the UTEE is melted, place each piece into the pot and make sure
that both sides are coated with UTEE.


12-hold&drip
Pull the pieces out of the Melting Pot with tweezers (do not touch
with your fingers – the UTEE is very hot). Let some of the excess
UTEE drip off


13-onteflonsheet
Place the hot piece onto a Teflon sheet. It must be Teflon so that it
doesn’t permanently stick.


14-heattool
If you have bubbles or weird bumps you can heat them away with a
crafting heat tool. You can either do it directly on the Teflon craft
sheet, or punch a hole and suspend the piece as you heat it.



15-holdinair
Once the pieces are cool enough to touch, you can punch a hole and set
an eyelet in the hole.

16-puteyelets

17-trim

RoundEarrings-close-sm
Add your earring hooks and you’re done!

Note: The UTEE will make the paper fairly water resistant, but I
wouldn’t submerge them in water.


LongEarrings-sm

MeinLA-sm

Julie Fei-Fan Balzer is a self-taught mixed media collage artist and
avid scrapbooker. She is currently the co-host of Scrapbook Soup TV
(PBS) and beginning in January 2011 Julie will be writing a column
called “Adventures in Arting” in Cloth Paper Scissors magazine.
Julie’s hour long instructional DVD “Collage Fast & Furious” was
released in July 2010 by Interweave. She designs rubber stamps for
Stamping Bella and stencils for The Crafter’s Workshop.
Julie and her husband live in a tiny apartment with a big art studio
in the middle of New York City. She blogs her art adventures at
www.balzerdesigns.typepad.com. Follow her Twitter feed at
http://twitter.com/BalzerDesigns.

32 comments:

Jeanine The Crafting Fiend said...

super fun idea!!! LOVE it and I want to try this - just need to find that enamel!

bonnie leukert said...

What fun....I'm going to try it! Thanks for sharing.

Mia Bloom Designs said...

Great idea, Julie! I'm going to give it a try.

whyducks said...

These are gorgeous!

Nicole Maki said...

What an awesome idea. I think I have everything I need on hand except for the earring hooks.

Thanks for the wonderful inspiration.

mauihumv@gmail.com said...

What a fun idea...I am going to give it try. Thanks for sharing:)

Suz said...

Those are fantastic! Plus they look like a lot of fun to do!
Fondly,
Suz

Jana said...

Love this! Would clear nail polish work instead of the UTEE? That would save me a trip to the store... Thanks for sharing---might have to try this with watercolor & pastel since they're my mediums of choice!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, thanks for this awesome guest post. It was just what I needed to see today. Now I know what materials I need for a project that's been in the back of my mind for ages! And I've already found the UTEE on Amazon.ca!
Stay inspired!

Rose Clearfield said...

Awesome tutorial! These earrings are so much fun. I love that you can customize them any way that you like with different colors and shapes.

Cindy Lietz, Polymer Clay Tutor said...

Very cool Julie! Love the addition of the dictionary paper on the back. Much more visually appealing than a plain (or paint splotched) back. Great job!

The Tote Trove said...

Julie's earrings are fabulous! And I love making something out of nothing too :)

laurie said...

very unique pieces - so many possibilities! thanks for such clear instructions.

Anonymous said...

These look gorgeous :)

seo optimization said...

Thank you for sharing this article. I love it. Keep on writing this type of great stuff.

research paper said...

great idea! it is surprising that the newspaper and paint can make a miracle!

Unknown said...

LOve this idea! Like Jen@thecraftingfiend, I just need the enamel. Well, and the pot! Fun post!

Virginia said...

Oh they look like serious fun - thank you for sharing such a great idea!

CREATIVE KHADIJA said...

Its amazing! I have a suggestion too..you can also use Mod Podge Dimension Magic! I hope it will work the best..isnt it??

Enjoy ~

Leslie Tucker Jenison said...

I love the way these look. Plus, I bet they are super lightweight!

Bambi Pro said...

I can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing!

Jewels By Ine said...

I will try this! great idea!

Anonymous said...

Julie's just AMAZING!! She paints, sews & makes the most fascinating art! She's my Hero.
Grandma Nancy Sapp

bohemiannie! art said...

Fabulous Julie! Thank you!

Tricia said...

These are too cool and too easy - you are so creative! Great idea for Christmas presents! Great post, Julie!
Blessings,
Tricia

Melissa said...

Great idea and luckily I have everything to make some. So enjoy your work Julie.

term papers said...

Love your idea, the way you made ear rings is so awesome, thankyou for giving these creative ideas.

term papers said...

your earings look so beautiful,infact its a girl choice that how was the jewellery or not but as a boy i actually like this because the way you made all these rings loooking so nice.

Mrs. H said...

I had a friend that made some of these out of a copy of my sonogram. You couldn't tell just by looking at it, but I always knew what it was :)

thesis writing said...

You look so beautiful in your given pic,and thanks for sharing your this fantastic work with us,i think you make your stall in sunday market:-) You are amazing i never see these type of colorful and leave shape earings before in any market.

term paper writer said...

I like your guest post,very color full and also looking so nice.Thanks for defining that how you make this ear rings.

zdf said...

Wow, perfect. Fortunately, I found your website!
Thanks for sharing! Discount Swarovski Necklaces

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails