Tuesday, June 14, 2011

sparkle market tote

IMG_7182
You can never have too many tote bags on hand and recently I made a few little stylish market totes that I can take to the grocery store or farmers market.


IMG_7156
To start I used a new product from ilovetocreate called Tulip Fashion Glitter Shimmer Transfer Sheets.
It is a like a sheet of glitter (but without the mess) that can cut into shapes and letters and then iron onto fabric. WAY easier than using glitter :)


IMG_6209
I knew that I wanted to created doily inspired shapes from my shimmer sheets so I start by folding my sheet- corner over.

IMG_6210
I trimmed the excess and was left with a triangle.


IMG_6211
Then I folded it over again


IMG_6212
and again.


IMG_6213
Next I cut the outside edge with a curve


IMG_6214
and then I went to town cutting out little shapes...think cutting paper snowflakes.


IMG_6216
The result is a lovely piece of shimmer paper.


IMG_6218
Next I peeled off the protective piece of plastic


IMG_6219
and placed it onto the surface of a blank tote.


IMG_6241
Using a press cloth I ironed town the shimmer sheet.

IMG_6223
and removed the press cloth.


IMG_6225
I decided to use some of the little hearts leftover and ironed them around the outside of the design.


IMG_6226
Of course I couldn't just keep it simple and I decided to add some little embellishments with Beads in a Bottle- another super cool product (a little like 3-d paint but hardens up like beads once dry).


IMG_6227
I added little embellishments to the surface of my design.


IMG_6240

IMG_6232


IMG_7182
Of course I couldn't just make one so I made one in turquoise


IMG_7171
IMG_7184
and one in hot pink.


IMG_7173
IMG_7174
IMG_6238
And now I have a great little collection of sparkly market bags!


alisa-burke

32 comments:

Kristen Thornburg said...

So cute, I love it! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Adorable and sparkly - so much fun wrapped into one (or three) bag! Thanks for sharing your wonderful photos!
---Rella

Sandy said...

These are so cheerful and shiny. Love them.

EITAKdesign said...

Love this! I'll have to try this project with my nieces this summer...they love sparkly and a girl could always use more shopping totes!

Mariessa said...

I love this! It looks great, I had no idea these glitter sheets existed, and these bags came out great.

I hope you don't mind- I re-posted one of the pictures of your project with a description and links to your blog.

http://mariessad.blogspot.com/2011/06/how-to-easy-custom-glitter-totebag-by.html

Thanks for the idea!

Anonymous said...

These are absolutely adorable! I can't decide if I like the turquoise or the hot pink the most. I'll definately have to try out beads in a bottle, and I'll keep the glitter sheet in mind for future mess-free sparkly projects.

Crafting Queen said...

Great bags, love the colours!!

Unknown said...

Wow these are awesome totes! What a great product...you used it so well!

Dianne said...

Wow very swish market totes. Gorgeous.

Saraccino said...

What a great idea! So cool :)

Jane LaFazio said...

love it! who knew I needed a sparkley market bag, but I do!

Unknown said...

This is so awesome!!!

Katie said...

Oh my goodness - I LOVE that turquoise one. I am so going to have to get some of that. It looks so simple, but the effect is really fabulous. And won't leave you picking glitter off your skin for the next week. I'm sold.

Katie said...

Oh my goodness - I LOVE that turquoise one. I am so going to have to get some of that. It looks so simple, but the effect is really fabulous. And won't leave you picking glitter off your skin for the next week. I'm sold.

" M " said...

Wow! thats cool stuff , I really love the tulip beads in a bottle , think Im gonna get me some of that. thanks for inspiring & sharing : )

P.S. cant wait to get your latest book in august , Im really excited!
: )

whyducks said...

How lovely!

Kittyj said...

Ha! A SHEET of glitter - I can hardly stand it!!! Woohoo!

pigwidget said...

These are fabulous! Love the inspiration - thank you :)

Elizabeth said...

I'm usually not a glitter girl but this looks fun and a whole lot less messy than the glitter of old. Quick question for you re the Bead-in-a-Bottle product. I haven't used dimensional fabric paint since it came out man years ago. How does it wash and hold up to being bumped around and such? Do the "beads" stay in place and shape?

mauihumv@gmail.com said...

Gorgeous!

Henriëtte said...

What an energy and creativity do you have ! As always I'm loving it.
Your art inspires me a lot. Thanks Alisa
Kind regards Henriëtte ( Dutch but living in France)
http://pepentenga.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hcpb/show/

Anonymous said...

Any idea where I can get the beads in a bottle? My Michael's & Hobby Lobby don't carry it :(

jabbott said...

Love em

Wendy McDonagh-Valentine said...

I completely agree with you!! Yours are adorable!! Thanks for sharing how you made them. The colors are wonderful!! : )

~ Wendy
http://Crickleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

Cheryl G. said...

I love those!
You are such a genius!

Anonymous said...

These look great! Thanks for sharing your idea and process. Ambal

lwzenke said...

as always, love your work. thank you for your continued inspiration and for sharing your creativity. i have a summer group of gals just waiting to get their hands on this.

E.Winberg said...

Thanks for the tip and inspiration (as always!) :) Love the pink one <3

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

That's so beautiful Alisa! And it looks like it was so much fun to make- I love that about your projects! Thanks so much, I'll be linking.

My Fashion Dolly said...

They're so pretty!!!

Apron Appeal said...

hmmmm, If I stick around here I might be inspired to start crafting and sewing again....:)

Ginny said...

What a great tutorial - it combines my loves of shopping, crafting, and being green! I like it so much, I included it on my blog... http://darlingadventures.com/?p=635
Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails