Wednesday, November 12, 2014

a pottery collaboration (now in the shop)

I am super happy to announce that the first batch of collaborative pottery is now in THE SHOP

For those of you new to the blog of if you missed my previous pottery posts (HEREHERE and HERE)- my parents are potters and I've spent my entire life around clay.  I was introduced to clay long before painting and spent a great deal of time dabbling in pottery as a kid. Growing up my mom and dad ran a successful pottery business from their home studio- I spent my childhood watching my dad throw pots on the wheel and my mom run a wholesale tile business. For the last couple of years I've been tossing around some ideas about collaborating with my parents on some fun clay pieces and FINALLY I have time in my schedule to make it happen. 

The first batch of pottery is cups. I love unique glasses and cups- I use them for storing paint brushes, supplies, for flowers and for beverages. So I enlisted my dad to make some really simple, tall, skinny cups without handles that I could then paint with my designs. Since I am crazy passionate about handmade products and about sharing the creative process I thought it would be fun to share our process, the time and the love that went into this first batch.

This is my dad- he has been throwing pots since his early 20's and is crazy good at it! I've been watching him transform a lump of clay into something beautiful since I was a kid and I am always in awe of how amazing the process is!

         throw from Alisa Burke on Vimeo.


After the cups were finished they needed to be trimmed this happens when the clay is firm enough to be handled without damage but not quite dry.

Trimming removes the excess clay typically on lower part of the pot and helps to refine and clean up the shape. Once the pots are trimmed they are ready to dry (here is Oregon it takes a couple of days for pots to dry- even longer during the wet cold winter months).

After the cup dried, they were ready for the first firing in the kiln called a bisque firing. A bisque firing is what transforms that clay into ceramic material. It is also (typically) a necessary step in the glazing process.

Then was time to glaze everything- I used what is called an underglaze for this process (Duncan E-Z Stroke in jet black).  This process was really time consuming for me since it involved lots of brushwork. And since I have a crazy busy schedule during the day, the only way I could fit this project in was to work on it in small chunks of time each evening after Lucy went to bed or early in the morning.

In the last few years, I have spent most of my time on sharing inspiration and teaching so it felt really nice to just sit and create something new. It was totally worth the late nights, stiff neck and cramped hand muscles :)

After everything was glazed, it was time to wax the bottom of the cups! For those new to pottery, you are probably thinking...Another step?! How many steps does it take to make a pretty cup? I'm here to tell you it takes a lot of steps! 

Applying wax to the bottom of pottery is often necessary to keep liquid glaze off the bottom of the cup. Since we dip the cups into a clear shiny glaze, we want to keep that glaze off the bottom otherwise it will stick to the kiln shelves. The wax resist keeps the clear glaze off the cup and then burns away in the kiln. Yes, even Lucy got in on the action waxing a couple of bowls that she glazed!

And then each cup gets dipped into a big bucket of clear glaze and yes it is green but it fires clear.

The last step was to fire the cups again and then unload the kiln. This has always been my favorite part of the entire process- there is nothing better than seeing the final transformation!

And there you have it friends! A peek inside the the pot making process. This was so much fun for me and really special to get to work with my dad. I've got another batch of pots coming soon- this time around it will be bowls made by my mom and glazed by me so stay tuned for more of our family collaborations. In the meantime all pottery is now in the shop HERE.


21 comments:

Unknown said...

Love this post! The family-affair-pottery looks great and I will be showing the video to my 5th graders when we do clay. They will love the sneak peek at the wheel.

Unknown said...

Lovely work by the two of you!

Anonymous said...

Alisa, these are beautiful. Making a bowl, a cup, just about anything in wheel-thrown pottery does take a lot of steps but the end result is SO SATISFYING! And I scored a tribal cup - happy dance, happy dance. = )

alisa burke said...

yipee!! The tribal cups are actually my favorite!!

Henriëtte said...

Amazing beautiful your bowls !!

TesoriTrovati said...

Took a wheel thrown pottery course with my then 10 year old son and it was a fascinating process. Watching your dad's hands is magical! Such a perfect collaboration, especially with the wee one included! Thank you for sharing your beauty and light with the world. Enjoy the day! Erin

Anonymous said...

Stunning collection and most of them are sold already which is brilliant. Loved seeing the process too.
Sara

Melissa @ Sweet As Texas Honey said...

These are stunning! I am ridiculously excited I managed to score one this morning thank you for sharing your family is wonderful

Bilgen said...

what a great family you have! I love all of your works, love from istanbul!

elenoula said...

Amazing post! And the pots are fantastic!!

Tante Mali said...

Adorable cups, Alisa, I love the desing! Looks great! Congratulations! Cross my fingers - sure you will suceed with these!
All my best from Austria and a happy happy time
Elisabeth

Unknown said...

This makes me miss my days in the pottery studio as an undergrad....
Beautiful work, Alisa! I love seeing how your whole family was involved in the process!

Helmi said...

Wow, looks beautiful!

Hollands Reverie said...

Hi- I'm new here and this is incredible. How talented you all are and what a neat thing to get to do with you dad. I'm not sure how you manage it all, but it really amazing. Thanks for sharing!

www.hollandsreverie.blogspot.com

studioGypsy said...

so sooo beautiful.. and absolutely special.. ❤️❤️❤️

Melissa @ Sweet As Texas Honey said...

Ridiculously excited to have scored a one of kind pottery item from you!!


Side note: Dear Anonymous person above me. You are a rather ridiculous and cowardly man, not putting your name. Have what ever thoughts you like, but at least be brave enough to put your name on them.

Anonymous said...

How in the world is that second tribal cup still available! You'll have to keep it for yourself.

= )

Ashley said...

Seeing you in front of the klin makes me think of my grandmother!

Anonymous said...

They're all sold? More, please!

Jess and Steve said...

A very inspiring post! Lovely work.

Holly Saveur said...

Great post..I liked making pottery too..it is such an adventure!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails