Friday, March 21, 2014

fashion friday- one dress three ways

Spring is a tricky time of year when it comes to fashion- you can't break out those summer clothes and its a little too warm for winter outfits! So today I'm sharing a little inspiration to wear a summer dress 3 different ways for all that "in between" spring weather.

Let me first say that in my daily life I have no place that I would actually wear a cute summer dress. I am a self employed artist living in a small town on the Oregon Coast! Much of my daily routine is painting in the studio, working at home on the computer, running errands and spending lots of family time outside and at the beach. Once in while get dressed up and go out but overall, my wardrobe is more about comfort and versatility.

While I don't have any reason to get dressed up, I do still like to buy dresses and wear them as a tunic or as a casual layer in my outfits. I bought this cute little lace dress at Ross for $9.99 and thought it would be a great piece for spring layering.

This look is not for everyone but I pretty much live in some kind of variation of this combo: a tunic with a flannel shirt, jeans and a baseball hat! If we are blessed with a sunny day I'll wear sandals, it not I'll wear Vans. This outfit can easily can easily take me from working in the studio to heading outside to play.

Hat- Billabong (last year), Flannel- Target, Camo Jacket- Forever 21 (last year), Jeans- no idea!


sweater- Old Navy, leggings- Ross (last year), cut off jean vest- Old Navy, boots- Ugg (last year)


Spring on the Oregon Coast is cold and rainy which means I still wear a lot of winter clothing. On chilly days I always wear a tunic with a light weight sweater on top, leggings and my favorite rubber boots. Another look that can take me from the painting in the studio to walking through tide pools!



hat- Forever 21, Kimono- Forever 21, Socks- Free people, Boots- Clarks (2010), jewelry- gifts from the hubs

When the sun comes out I will actually wear a skirt or dress but I keep things relaxed and baggy with light layers. I like wearing flowy kimono cover ups or baggy sweaters over the top of a dress. And a pair of boots with knee high socks keeps your legs just warm enough!

Then there are days when I throw caution to the wind and just mix all my favorites up into an outfit!

22 comments:

Judith said...

You are so beautiful!!!

Create more and be happy said...

Hi from Sweden Alisa!
I love the first shabby chic look

Unknown said...

love the pattern leggings!

Giggles said...

I love your funky style...it is uniquely you! My daughter has those leggings and every time she wears them I think of you! She is such a boot girl too...but loves her fluevogs they have a nice selection too...check them out... Many of hers are similar to yours! Thanks for sharing!

Hugs Giggles

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

A nice post!
' love the dress ( :

Susan said...

You have great style! Love the dress with your jeans.

Unknown said...

super fun. i never think about wearing a dress over pants. and maybe i should invest in a pair of leggings. hum???!!!

Julia said...

Beautiful any way :)

Unknown said...

Love your eclectic sense of style. :-) When I wear a dress over leggings, I end up with a bunching of the dress (cotton over cotton). And then I wonder whether a half slip would be silly.

astr!d said...

all three of these are super cute and totally rock different styles. i love this!!! and i love your fashion fridays bc i get lots of awesome ideas ANNND you are like me and dont spend mega bucks on clothes but want a variety!!

Unknown said...

You're adorable!!! This looks like so much fun.

Anonymous said...

Ugh, my style is so flat right now. You inspire me to change it up, play with layers, and get out of my (boring!) comfort zone. = )

Kim said...

Love you style! You make me get out of the box for fashion.

Christy said...

You are amazing!! love your style! inspired! LOVe to sketch and paint you! xoxo

Brittan said...

So cute! I naturally gravitate to the middle style with the jeans, but I actually really love all the ways you styled this dress!
Thanks for sharing!

Pat S said...

My favorite outfit combo is the dress layered with a sweater and vest and patterned leggings and a pop of yellow.

Unknown said...

you have great style!you are for me a beautiful inspiration!

Jo Murray said...

What flair you have for mix'n'match. Of course I reckon you'd look beautiful in a hessian bag.

studioGypsy said...

you are so cute! and so fashionable! i will need to try these layers.. :) xoxoxo

Jan said...

for an instant I thought you doodled on your legs!!!!
you are so beautiful Alisa!

Jamie Morton said...

Funky and fresh :) Inspired! You look great!

Carpet Cleaning Services Bromley

Serena Lewis said...

I love your style! I too enjoy wearing a dress over jeans or leggings. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails