Monday, July 15, 2013

sketching on the GO

If you frequent my blog, you will know that sketching is such a big part of my creative process. It is how I work through ideas, practice drawing and challenge myself to capture my experiences and inspiration on paper. The sketching process is also one of my favorite ways to explore the world around me.

In the live classes and retreats that I teach at my studio, we spend time outside sketching and I demonstrate simple sketching techniques, ways to keep a visual journal and how to use exploration and adventure in your sketching process. Inspired by my live classes, I thought it would be fun to share a handful of my favorite tips for SKETCHING ON THE GO here on the blog!


I have found that having simple supplies on hand (that can go anywhere with me) helps keep me inspired to sketch on the go.

1. A sketchbook- preferably one that is not too expensive- Lately I keep a number of the Strathmore sketchbooks on hand- my favorite size is 6.26 x 8.5 inches- it is big enough to have a nice page to work on and small enough that I can throw it in my purse.

2. I like to carry some kind of tape (washi tape is a favorite) so I can adhere things to the pages of my journal.

3. I always carry some kind of paper towel or rag.

4. A water brush- I almost always have a water brush with me because it cancels out the need to bring a water vessel. You simply put your water in the handle of the brush, squeeze the handle and water comes out of the brush.

5. I always carry a pencil and pen with me.

6. I prefer to add color to my pages with watercolors- they are easy to use and most important- very portable and easy to pull out when you are on the go. My favorite watercolors to use are Sakura Koi Watercolor Sketch Box

TIP: Keep your sketching supplies in your purse or in your car or by the door. If you end up somewhere inspiriting or even have time to kill (doctors apt, picking up kids from school, soccer games, etc) pull out that sketchbook and get creating! Use your surroundings (no matter what they are) as your inspiration.




There is something SO profound about sketching outside and on the go. In my experience it is much different than sketching at home or in the studio. There are all kinds of outside factors you have to deal with (weather, lighting, crowds, people wanting to watch you, comfy places to sit, etc). But taking your supplies on the go is a great way to push yourself outside the box. It is also a great way to document and explore the world around you.






I spend so much time in my studio and creating indoors that I tend to get a little stir crazy! I have found that going somewhere, even if it is somewhere simple (like my backyard, my local coffee shop or neighborhood park) I am inspired and revitalized!

TIP: Challenge yourself to go somewhere (anywhere!) for one hour and sketch in that location. Try completing 1-2 pages. Have fun finding a new location every couple of weeks.


There is nothing more inspiring than a little adventure to get your creativity flowing! Try finding a place that you would like to go for the day and incorporate that little trip into your sketching inspiration. Bring your camera and your supplies and incorporate a some time to documenting the experience in your sketchbook!



For some reason, sketching outside or on the go is more challenging for me. I still love it but I tend to be more concerned about perfection than when I am working in my studio. It probably has a lot to do with time constraints (I often feel rushed) and comfort (sitting on a large rock is not as comfortable as my couch). Over time I have learned that its ok to be challenged or a little uncomfortable and I use these moments to work on letting go of perfection in the sketching process.



Since sketching on the go can be challenging try to challenge yourself to "capture the essence" of your inspiration instead of feeling like you need to be perfect. Try to focus on the color, pattern, shapes and texture instead of perfectly replicating your subject matter.



Sometimes I don't have time to sit and sketch on the go but I still want to capture an idea or inspiration in my sketchbook for later. I like to take creative notes- I jot down a quick sketch, record the weather, the colors I see, shapes, pattern or texture. When I am back home with more time, I use my visual notes as reference for drawing and painting projects.



Don't be afraid to get messy! While I love sketching detailed illustrations and pattern, there are times when I also enjoy getting messy in my sketching process. I love slopping color all over the page, scribbling, filling a page with shapes or free writing. Some of these pages end up being my favorite because they perfectly capture the moment in a creative way.




I love to hunt for treasures when I am outside and often these treasures end up being the inspiration for my art. If you don't have lots of time to sketch or if you are just not "feeling it" (it happens to all of us) try using your time collecting objects and things that can be used as subject matter for your sketching. Bring your treasures home and use them for future sketching projects.



I always have a camera on me- sometimes its my fancy camera, sometimes its my iphone while other times its my Instax MINI. In addition to sketching, I am always snapping photos of my subject matter. This process enables me to not feel rushed while sketching on the go. Instead I am able to use my photos as reference and keep sketching once I get home. 



P.S. To read more about my sketching process you can visit:








P.P.S Looking for sketching prompts and inspiration? 
My latest online class  SUMMER SKETCH goes live on Friday!
Summer is my favorite time of year- it's when we play outside, stay up late, soak up the warmth and watch the sun set! It's also a perfect time to break out your sketchbook and utilize all those activities and inspiration. I've put together this fun class with the hope to keep you sketching all summer long. Summer Sketch is structured to fit into those busy summer days- join me for drawing and doodling prompts, ideas, techniques and ways to turn those warm sunny days into inspiration and subject matter for your sketchbooks and art journals. 

23 comments:

Suman Pandit said...

Lovely work!! love the quotes...so true!!
http://www.kalasirjana.blogspot.in/

Zena said...

This is a great post and a fantastic introduction to the sketching process it is even more interesting -and inspiring- because I have signed up for your on-line class about this issue

dawn said...

LOVE THIS!! Thank you so much for this post, beautiful art!!

Beverley Baird said...

What a great tutorial! Love your work here!

Annuk said...

WOW! What an inspiring post! Thank you Alisa! :)

Graziana (La stanzetta inglese) said...

Alisa, thank you for your wonderful tutorial! PS: I think the link to sakura watercolors is broken.

Krissi T said...

Thank you Alisa for sharing your process and artwork. Thank you for inspiring me to get out and ecplore my world !!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the reminder that the important thing is to create and get outside. What an awesome post. I love your work and blog. I find it very inspiring. Thanks for all your hard work helping us enjoy life and our surroundings more.
Susan

se7en said...

I totally and absolutely love this post... completley!!! Love it!!!

Lesley Edmonds said...

A fabulous post Alisa. So much inspiration...thank you.

Magical Daydream said...

I love this! It is so inspiring and makes me want to run outside and draw. Thanks for sharing :)

x

Marielle

Carolyn said...

My husband and I are getting ready to take a train trip across China and now I know exactly what art journal supplies to take with me. Thank you! I love your artwork style, btw.

Mary Schweitzer said...

Your work is always so bright and happy. Your blog is a happy part of my day. Thank you for sharing your world.

Madeline Rains said...

I have loooved your sketch class. It got me looking at where my inspiration comes from and got me over some of my perfectionist stuff.

Unknown said...

wonderful post. thanks for the tips. sketches as always are beautiful...so full of color.

danielle said...

I've taken a bunch of your classes & love you to tears! You are a constant inspiration to me. You always post an entry on your blog just when I need it! Thank you for always making me want to pick up my sketchbook & continue my craft!

debra said...

I signed up for your Summer class the other day and this has me even more excited for it to begin! Thanks for the great tips and inspiration...your colors are so full of *joy*

Shauna said...

I love looking into your sketchbooks. Such an inspiration! I bet that your drawings/paintings in your sketchbook are so beautiful in person. Thanks for always being so willing to share your talent with us.

eLIZabeth Floyd said...

Thanks for the inspiration! I love sketching and have really fallen off the wagon in that regard lately... hmmm... maybe I need to just start drawing :)

Thanks, Liz

Obat Alami Buat Penyakit Ginjal said...

thanks for the information today

obat cepat hamil said...

I thank you for the information friend: D

Unknown said...

Thanks for the inspiration. This was a great post. It makes me want to get outside and create art. THANKS!

Anonymous said...

Please tell me where you got your awesome denim jacket!!! It's perfect for our North East weather here and I love the vintage wash...thanks and keep the beautiful tutorials and scenic views coming!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails