Wednesday, September 15, 2010

patchwork cap tutorial

g3

I love baseball hats. Actually I love just about anything I can put on my head right now that keeps me from chopping my hair off (after 15 years of short hair I am desperately working to grow my hair out). So I have a huge collection of hats and I am always looking for ways to even create my own. Any time I find a plain hat that actually fit me, I buy it- I have an abnormally small head and hats that fit are hard to find!


IMG_1007
Recently Jo-Ann Fabric had plain white hats that fit my head perfectly and I knew right away they would be perfect to alter! fyi- just about any cotton or canvas cap can be altered.


g
I started by painting the hat with screen printing paint mixed with a little water to create a wash over the entire hat.


IMG_1014
I let the hat dry.


IMG_1017
I used a bunch of tiny scraps that I selected in my color scheme and started layering and creating a patch full of patchwork.


g2
I used colorful thread and messy stitches to sew the different pieces of fabric together.


IMG_1020
I added a bright red heart to my patchwork patch.


IMG_1024
Next I hand stitched the edges of the patch to the surface of the hat.


IMG_1091
And just like that...brand new cap, my style- ready to wear!


IMG_1106


IMG_1097


IMG_1104


IMG_1066


IMG_1075

IMG_1076

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails