Thursday, July 01, 2010

string of lantern lights tutorial

IMG_0249
We spend a lot of time grilling, eating and watching the sun set on our deck and for the summer I typically hang all kinds of lights and lanterns for an extra dose of whimsy. I wanted to purchase more lights to hang for the holiday weekend festivities but just couldn't bring myself to pay for something I knew I could make! I decided to pull out a string of red Christmas lights and transform a bag of tiny paper cups into a string of lanterns for a little red, white and blue decoration.


IMG_0265
I started by painting the paper cups in a pretty shade of blue.


IMG_0226


IMG_0230
When they were dry I added simple doodles with a sharpie pen


IMG_0231
and then filled in some of the doodles with white paint (for a little variation)


IMG_0233
I covered all of the cups with doodles and set aside to dry.

If you don't want to doodle you could use collage, messy paint, a solid color or a even a stamped pattern on the surface


IMG_0236

as
Last, I poked a hole in the bottom of the cups and inserted each of the lights.


IMG_0243


IMG_0255
And there you have it- a little bit of red, white and blue decoration for the holiday weekend entertaining- though I may just leave them up for the rest of the summer!

IMG_0257


IMG_0251


IMG_0268


IMG_0285


IMG_0298


IMG_0288

IMG_0304

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails