Wednesday, March 31, 2010

eggs and nest tutorial



After purchasing a bag of plastic easter eggs for another project, I ended up having a lot of eggs left over and decided to alter the eggs and create pretty little nests out of fabric three different ways! All of them are easy last minute Easter projects and I liked them so much I will be using them around the house year round!


#1 white crackle eggs and nest



Start by giving the eggs a base coat of paint and let dry.


For the crackle- you could use crackle medium but I actually like to use craft glue to get the same effect.

Cover the surface of the eggs with a layer of glue.
While it is still wet apply white paint to the top of the glue and let dry.
Crackle will start to appear as it dries.




To create a fabric nest, use a bowl and cover with plastic wrap.


Drape white fabric (I used muslin) over the top of the bowl and apply fabric stiffener.
Let dry completely.


Once dry, peel off the fabric bowl.





Fill the nest with eggs!



#2 graffiti inspired eggs and nest

Paint your eggs with lots of messy color, swipes and lines.


Paint over the top of the bowl with more messy swipes and color.


fill the nest with eggs!



#3 decorative eggs and nest

Fill the egg with decorative designs using 3-D paint (like the pin wheel tutorial)
Glue little gems or embellishments to the surface.


Paint the nest and add the same decorative designs and embellishments.


Fill the nest with eggs!



20 comments:

Kittyj said...

WOOHOO! And I always felt my bowls! How cool is that!?!

LR said...

i just filled some eggs with candy for my son's school. we had three eggs leftover and tomorrow i will definitely try this. is there an alternative for fabric stiffener?

Mel Guthrie said...

These are brilliant! I wish I had time to make them to have in my dorm!

britt said...

super fun eggs!

Kayla Ericksen said...

These are sooo gorgeous! > my craft of choice is altering books and creative journaling, and I was so excited to learn your cheaper way of crackling paint! Definitely will be using it in the future!

Lynnetta said...

So clever! The crackle eggs are my favorites.

BTW - I got my inspiration journal in the mail the other day. Thank you!!!

Melissa M (Lagaz) said...

Those are way cool Alisa! And I could make shredded paper nests for the eggs too! Awesome stuff :) Have a great Easter!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Those are gorgeous Alisa! Thanks so much for the spring-perfect project. I'll be linking.

AlexM said...

so cool! love the idea of fabric stiffener, genius!!! Thanks for sharing:)

whyducks said...

Wow! I never thought I would like plastic eggs but they are great, and the bowls are wonderful.

Shorty said...

This is such a wonderful idea! Your eggs and the nests are so pretty. Thanks for sharing your tutorial!

Jane LaFazio said...

wow. love this! and the crackle trick is great!

HollyM said...

There is no end to your creativity! I'm at a loss for words.
beautiful!

Peggy said...

Wow, love your Easter ideas, can't wait to try them. Traci said you were going to coteach a class, sure hope its online. You two are my favorite artists. Happy Easter and thanks for all the tips.

Cori Lynn Berg said...

Ok.. the grafitti ones are my fav! And i like the idea of keeping your nests around year round.. it's like a symbol of creative birthing!

Dianne said...

What great ideas! Thanks so much!

Robin said...

My daughter just went to an egg hunt and came home with a whole basket of plastic eggs. What am I to do with them? Now I know! Thanks for the righteous idea!

Oh, and glue to make the paint crackle...you just made my day.

:) Robin.

BettyBee said...

I have just found your blog...and I am overjoyed! You are a creative genius! Thank you for a dozen fabulous ideas so far...I can't wait to spend hours going over your blog and learning so much from you!
Happy crafting~
BettyBee

michelle ward said...

oh my! it's been a while since i visited here alisa, and i have been dazzled by all your fabulous posts. you are such a generous artist. I LOVE THESE EGGS AND THAT BOWL. genius, clever, delightful. i'll say it again DAZZLED!

Slots Strategy said...

You have appeared are right. I thank for council how I can thank you?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails