Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Toilet Paper Roll Angel Tutorial

Here I go again with my passion for creating with toilet paper rolls! This is a project that I can remember making as a kid during one of the many crafting nights we had as a family. My mom and dad organized all kinds of fun projects for my brother and I every day leading up to Christmas day! I decided that this season I would put my own twist on this project- this is a great one for kids and adults and literally costs next to nothing!


Start by painting toilet paper and paper towel roll with a thick coat of white paint.
Once dry cut out a simple crown shape from the tops of the roll.


Paint faces on the surface of the rolls- I have always loved painting whimsical faces (inspired by my wonderful and diverse friends and family) and it is something that I find simple but if you are not comfortable with drawing and painting a face- try use a black and white photocopy of a faces and glue to the surface of the roll and then paint with bright colors.


Once satisfied with your angels, create wings from thick paper, fabric or canvas. I created my wings from Claudine Hellmuth's Sticky Back Canvas (of course!!)

Attach the wings to the back of the angels (with craft glue or even hot glue).


Use the angels on a mantel, on a bookshelf, in your holiday decorating...






Or use as a tree topper




29 comments:

Vone said...

They are beautiful. I truely love them.

nacherluver said...

Absolutely gorgeous!! Can't believe those are T.P. cobs! Beautiful.

Cindy Jones Lantier said...

Thanks for sharing -- they look great!

kittyj said...

Awesome! Guess what I'm doing tomorrow!?!

Unknown said...

Just love them!!! Can't wait to make all the family...

LR said...

love the tree topper idea. i will surely try creating these with my son.

Lauren said...

I love your artwork! This is such a fantastic idea! I might try to make some napkin rings with my little ones! Will they look like yours? Of course not! :) Love your blog!

jgr said...

Totally cool . . . and affordable! Thank you for the idea.

Jaedyn said...

These are SO creative, I absolutely love the idea! :-) Thanks for sharing!

Kim Mailhot said...

Lovely - so simple but so perfectly hand made I love them ! I needed something to make the decorations feel more like me - this just may be it ! Thank you Alisa for sharing your talents with us !

Timaree said...

Terrific! I came over from another blog that posts yours on it's sidebar. These look like such a terrific idea I sent the link to my daughter for her and her daughters.

Kathryn Hansen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kathryn Hansen said...

those are great! I am definitely creating some angels this weekend with my daughters~thanks!!

dining room table said...

Those are beautiful and creative designs! I have lots of toilet paper rolls and I find it a waste of I put them in the trash when I know I can do something with them. Thanks for sharing.

JessiVille said...

T.P. tubes. Who Knew? Can't wait to make my own tree topper for next year. Alisa, thank you for all your great blogs! I so appreciate you and your art - so inspiring, free and a riot of glorious color. Have a great Holiday!
P.S. Love my little purses you did!

michelle allen said...

very cute and clever! i hope i have time to make one! love all your tutorials!!!

Anonymous said...

Dear Author alisaburke.blogspot.com !
This topic is simply matchless

sigrid said...

So beautiful!

Jenn said...

these are amazing, thank you for the inspiration!!

Unknown said...

oh boy those are just about the cutest things EVER!
the blonde haired girl looks just like claudine! LOL

too cute!
xoxo
jul

Anonymous said...

Amazingly! Amazingly!

A Denihan said...

Great Idea. Thanks for sharing. Love the photo of you at work on these listening to your music. I can hardly create without music. So inspiring!

Security Camera King said...

Very nice! I like the idea.

lucruri said...

that is such a cool idea. impressive xx

Rachel Biddlecome said...

Making some today!

Megapixall said...

I need to do this with my kids

Anonymous said...

Would love to be able to take the details into my local school but we are not allowed to use toilet rolls would have to be any other type of roll

Disco Dotty said...

These are just amazing and so beautiful. As a kindergarten teacher these rolls are a mainstay of our craft project, but this...well I am speechless, can't wait to get started. blessings DD

Annette Watkins said...

This is wonderful! Hope it is okay to take a spin on your idea for our Religious Education Class? Hate when people direclt copy from my website and publish their work, yikes. I want to make an angel on a sheet of paper (coloring book style) so they can color and paste to the tube. Then they can use sequins, button and glitter to embellish the crowns. If I have your permission will be happy to submit some kiddo inspired art to you.-Annette, Brushes and Bottles

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails