Sunday, December 13, 2009

Holiday Ruffled Top Tutorial



I am giddy over here because I FINALLY seem to have caught up with the major tasks on my to do list and while I am learning that being self employed kinda means there is always something to do, I am happy that I can start to enjoy some well earned down time here and there! And it also means that I get to hang out online with all of you and share more inspiration and tutorials in these last few weeks before the holiday madness really starts!


I recently noticed that everywhere I go ruffles, applique and unique adorned clothing seems to be everywhere and so far I have not found anything I like under $40.00 (too much $ for a bargain hunter like me!!)

And since this is the season for parties and entertainment, I set out to figure find a way to make a cute ruffled top for under $10.00 that I could wear to one of the many events that I will be attending in the next couple of weeks. While every project I come up with seems to be a favorite- this one is really my favorite!


Supplies-

Cotton white tank top from Target- $5.00
(when I buy "cheaper" tshirts and tanks I always buy a couple of sizes larger than my true size- I am a small size but I bought a size large in case of shrinking or to give a little room)
1 yard of white muslin- $1.49
Variety of shimmery white beads- $2.00
Needle and thread
Total= $8.49 WOW!!!



With the money I saved I bought (yet) another pair of earrings from my MOST FAVORITE etsy seller- Polished Two to match my new top!



Start with a plain, solid colored tank top.


Use a large piece of muslin and cut out circles and strips in a variety of sizes.


Start by adding a ruffle along the neckline from a few strips of muslin.



Use the circles of muslin to create lots and lots of ruffled flowers by stacking them on top of each other and sewing then together by hand.


Add little beads to the center of each flower.








Begin adding the the flowers along the neckline, on top of the ruffle.



Add as many flowers as you like- I added more to one side of the neckline.

And there you have it- a simple, chic and lovely little top for the holidays!

13 comments:

Kathleen Kibblehouse said...

Very cool. Fast, cheap, and easy are just the best! Might be a tad chilly to wear in some places, but a sweet little cardigan over top would make it okay. So many possibilities! Thanks for posting.

LR said...

it's so lovely; i am sure you will get many questions about where you bought it :-)

Unknown said...

MUITO INTERESSANTE !!

Excelente dica

peggy said...

Your amazing, what a great creative mind you have. You inspire me to create more instead of buying more - go Alisa. Peggy

Staci Danford said...

That is the greatest idea I have seen in FOREVER... LOVE it so much.. Headed to Goodwill on Wednesday and gonna try to make me one.. Thanks for your wonderful ideas...
Staci

Tricia said...

SO. CUTE.

Lisa said...

Gorgeous! I would love to try this one day! Thanks for the great idea!

deliciously organized said...

Wow! I love it! Looks great!

Melanie Jade said...

This is SO cute!!!

Chris said...

I just stumbled on your blog this morning, and am really impressed with your work! I'm subscribing to your feed. :)

Ryanne Baker said...

You're ridiculously cute. I love embellishing tees and tanks- so fun :)

My Wacky Friends said...

Very helpful info, thank you for your article.

wink said...

you. are. ADORABLE!! I don't know what else to say. simple, elegant... everything I've always loved. I find a descriptive link that sounds interesting... sure enough! It's you again!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails