Thursday, March 10, 2016

my favorite ways to cope with fear and anxiety


Back in January I got personal and shared a little bit about my struggles with anxiety. Since then I have received so much positive feedback from many of you and I've also received lots of questions about how I cope with my anxiety (medication free). While I am no expert and fear will always be a big part of my life I thought I would at least share a few of the things that have gotten me this far in my journey.

First I have to say that for those of you who struggle daily to overcome fear and anxiety, I want to let you know that it is SO possible to move forward through it all. I am here to tell you that pushing through fear has been the story of my life and thankfully that push has enabled me to be an artist, get married, become a mom, travel and do all kinds of things that a younger me would have been terrified of.

1. Feeling the fear and do it any way has been the #1 way that I battle anxiety. I know the minute I feel fear or anxiety, I have to move forward and conquer that fear. It is the only way that I know how to take my power and sanity back!

2. I am surrounded by people who encourage me, let me vent and be crazy but then they make me keep moving. I desperately need people in my life that help keep me on the fearless path.

3. My faith is something that I desperately need in order to keep my head on straight. When in doubt, fearful or anxious I pray...ALOT! 

4. Exercise is also a requirement for me. There is something about physical activity, walking, hiking, fresh air that make me feel powerful, strong and confident especially when I am in the midst of challenging times. 

5. Having something that I am passionate and confident about has also helped me conquer anxiety. My art and creative business is something I have never felt anxious about and I think it is because I am so grounded in my love and passion for making art. Art has been the constant in my life and it has been the thing that inspires joy, hope and confidence- all emotions that come in handy when you need to battle fear! 

 Ok there you have it! The ways that I battle fear and anxiety. Keep in mind that what works for one person may not work for another. But becoming aware of your own methods to cope is truly the first step in taking your power back!

12 comments:

Jeans 'n Tshirt said...

as always your honesty is refreshing ! and f&a is so real in so many lives . my sister hasn't left a five mile radius of her home in over 5 years...pushing they the fear is the only reason I am not stuck like her

Ewa said...

i like you very much, pozdrowienia z Polski ;))))

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for sharing. I love when people can open up and talk about their fears and anxiety, it helps me cope with mine. To know that I am not the only one is so comforting. I am inspired by your blog and all that you do. Thanks for being you.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for sharing. I've been coping with fear and axienty all my life. Only 2 years ago I discovered that making art makes me feel so good and more confident. Now I am off medicine, thanks to art. It's only such a pity I am already 55 and wasted all those years in anciety. For this reason I am so aware nowadays of the happiness art brings me every single day. I feel so alive and happy now and I am so glad I found your blog and art lessons, they really make my day! You're such an inspiring person! Thank you for sharing your life with us!

donna said...

Words of life! Thank you Alicia :-)

Mary W said...

THANK YOU so much. I believe every single word you said - which was laid out so well in your steps. I can't help someone dear in my life, she has to do it herself, but I can share this and keep on loving and trying to understand with lots of patience. Beautifully written.

studioGypsy said...

amen, sister.. xoxo

Jesse said...

Thanks Alisa for sharing...I am fighting the same battle, also medication free, and mij creativity is a life saver...It helps me to renew my focus and keeps me grounded. Such a blessing!

Unknown said...

شركة نقل عفش بالقطيف

Ashley said...

I love you saying "medication free". A few years ago, I had to take meds for almost a year. Completely out of my control. Always said I'd never take meds. After the year, I managed many was as you have described. Prayer for sure and the defining fact we are not called to be fearful rather bold, courageous and confident. It's hard in the heat of the moment sometimes. Especially, the older I get and my body is constantly changing. I remind myself fear void my faith.

Kristin said...

I love this! And thank you for the push to challenge the fears and get past the anxiety. I have a hard time doing that.

Montgomery Family said...

I have been enjoying your blog for years, and you just keep getting cooler and cooler. Thanks for sharing glimpses of your home, your art, your life, and the real you. You truly make this world a more beautiful place! Like a million other women, I wish we could be real life friends!

My family has moved to 4 countries in 3.5 years, and it has been a wild ride. Your blog and ideas and taking a couple of your classes has been such a huge blessing to me in the midst of crazy transition!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails