Tuesday, June 19, 2018

creating with make wells: water brush letting part 2

Hi everyone! It’s Megan from Makewells and I’m back with my second post about lettering with a waterbrush! Last post, I showed you the basics of using a waterbrush to get started lettering. If you missed that post, go have a looksy! There is a video that shows the 5 basic strokes you’ll need to create each lettering in the alphabet...because this time around, we’re going to start painting letters!

Again, I want to remind you that the biggest thing to remember when lettering with a waterbrush is to use MORE pressure when you create downstrokes, and less pressure when you create upstrokes. This will create a variation in line width, the downstrokes being heavier and the upstrokes being thinner.
I’ve provided a sample script alphabet for you to use as a reference for practicing.


Let’s begin with the letter A!


My first small stroke is down, and I create that just slightly thicker and then draw the thin upstroke of the capital A.

Next, I increse the pressure of my brush as I pull down to create the thicker downstroke of the A.

And finally, I make a thin wavy line through the A to create my crossbar.

This letter utilizes two of the 5 basic strokes we learned in the last lesson.







Next, let’s look at the lower case a.

The first stroke is a partial ‘o’ stroke, which is then followed by a thicker downstroke that leads back into the thin upstroke.

Here is a video of me painting both the upper and lowercase a’s.

Now work your way through the alphabet!

Lettering with a waterbrush takes a lot of practice! If you get frustrated, try going back and practicing some of the basic strokes again. Always remember...practice makes better!


I hope you’ve enjoyed today’s tutorial!

To see more of my work, follow along on Instagram - @makewells

Til next time friends!

Xo - Megan

1 comment:

suz said...

I've bookmarked this tutorial - I'm hoping to start learning lettering once I retire and have the time to really play...in the meantime, I'm going to start practicing these strokes! BTW - really liked what you had to say about immigration - we all seriously need to get educated, and not just by our "comfort zone" mass media! As the daughter and granddaughter of immigrants, this all hurts my soul.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails