Monday, July 14, 2014

potting table makeover

It felt so good to tackle our backyard project and while everything looks AMAZING, we had one big mess left to address- the back of our shed where we have a covered potting area and work bench. Up until now, this area has been the catch all for our tools, scrap wood, piles of weeds and basically anything we didn't want to deal with. So we set out to clean up the area and turn it into a potting table and place to store all of our gardening gear. Our goal was to spend little to no money and use things that we already had on hand!

Here is the before and after! I gotta say that out of all the projects we have worked on, this one might be one of my favorites because it was so simple! Here is what we did:


So we started by cleaning things up and this really made the most difference. Sometimes a good DIY project is as simple as a good cleaning! We pulled weeds, removed the scrap wood, power washed everything, I even added a fresh coat of white paint to the trim. Then we gathered up all of our gardening stuff and made a plan.


We wanted a place to hang our tools that we use everyday and also wanted a shelf to store pots so Andy used scraps of a leftover picket fence and turned them into a storage rack to hang above the work bench.

I love barn quilts and wanted to put my twist on the concept to create a colorful statement piece that could hang at the top of the shed. I used a scrap piece of plywood and painted colorful blocks. I love how much POP this adds to the space!

The last step was to fill the area with all of our gardening tools and supplies. Its so wonderful how just a few simple and creative changes completely transform a space!




18 comments:

Eva said...

What a makeover! Now I'm so inspired and will start immediately today with a similar project.
Thank you for this post with the DIY instructions!

Caro said...

I need a statement piece as well!!!!!! immediately!!!!
Thank you Alisa for always great inspiring ideas!!!
;)Caro

livethegoldenrule said...

Great job, Guys! You should be very proud! ;D

Unknown said...

Looks awesome! Great job!
Regular home cleaning Putney

Kelly said...

What an inviting backyard! I especially love your statement quilt-inspired piece!

Anonymous said...

Amazing! I love your barn quilt!!!
Margaret

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

So SWEET!

Jan Priddy, Oregon said...

❤️

studioGypsy said...

totally love this.. esp. the barn quilt board! xoxo

Unknown said...

Wow .. What a wonderful change.. So unique.. !!! Beautiful work..

Anonymous said...

Fantastic statement piece, it makes the whole area sing. What a lovely place to create with nature. xox

Anonymous said...

You have done so much fantastic work together. This is just a beautiful spot. The entire yard is amazing. It is so great to see all that you two have accomplished since moving. It must give you such a warm feeling and put smiles on your faces.
Barb
NC

Laura Hickman said...

A beautiful garden post. Organizing and art all at once. Gives me courage to go weed! Thank you.

Rachel @ Love, Rachel said...

This is so cute! Great job.

Liz said...

It looks fabulous! Great job! See what happens when two very creative people work together? You all rock!! Blessings!

Krissi T said...

I love this makeover ! I've been planning to do something to my potting area since I moved to my new/old cottage. You have inspired me !!

dawn said...

LOVE LOVE THIS!!!

Traci Bunkers said...

You left cute husband off of the materials list! Your makeover looks great!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails