Tuesday, November 05, 2013

my favorite everyday things- for painting



A big part of my painting process involves creating LOTS of layers full of color, pattern and texture! So I always have a variety of everyday things on hand to grab as I paint layer after layer. Here are a few of my favorites:



I will use just about anything round to dip in paint and use as a stamps. I love the look of circles repeated over and over again in between all my layers of paint and texture! From plastic cups to pen caps to paint lids, cardboard rolls and more- I always have something round on hand. 




Bubble wrap is one of my absolute favorite things to use for creating fast pattern and texture.




Kitchen utensils make some of the best stamps and mark making tools. From wisks to forks and knives to rolling pins and cookie cutters- our kitchen drawers are one of my favorite places to go shopping for supplies!




While I don't like to paint with cheap foam brushes, I do like to use them for mark making. The edge of a foam brush might be the perfect tool for adding lines, making marks and creating pattern.



Sometimes it's fun to change the way that I apply paint to a surface. If I am not using a brush or my hands I am using my brayer- it works great for applying thin layers of color and will even transfer pattern and texture.





Currently I am obsessed with dry wall tape. I use it as a stamp and a stencil and love the delicate grid that it creates.



Yarn or any type of string or fiber is one of my favorite materials for creating free form lines with paint. I like to wrap yarn around a cardboard roll and roll it in paint and across my surface.


marks from Alisa Burke on Vimeo.



Never underestimate everyday things that can be put to use in your creative projects!

17 comments:

Peaceful/Paisible said...

here are a few of my favorite things....did di di la la la...we sing with you sweetheart!

jabbott said...

Very effective techniques x

Lin said...

You had me rush to the attic to borrow some drywall tape from DH. Well, borrow... don't think he will want it back when I'm done with it.

HollyM said...

Lots of inspiration!

Liette alias Pixelle said...

oh yeah...i forget it sometimes...thanks...the photos are fabulous...

Cim Allen said...

Awesome ideas ! I love the look the kitchen tool gave .. thanks

astr!d said...

awesome ideas! i've pinned it for reference!

PaO* said...

+1
+2
+3
+4 I love everithing!!!

Giggles said...

This is the most economical smart way to create....and looks amazing too! Thanks for sharing!

Hugs Giggles

Lauren said...

Do you sell your large canvases anywhere? I'd love to own one of your creative beauties!

studioGypsy said...

LOVE!! xoxo

Virginia said...

Oh fab ideas thank you

Claudia MB said...

For double circles, I use the plastic rings left over from tape rolls.

I will ransack my kitchen for new mark-making tools!

Anastasia said...

so very cool - love this post!
inspiring!

Carin Winkelman said...

Fab ideas, loved the video. Thanks.

Andria said...

Your colors and your tools--fearless! I love it!

Pía Urruzuno said...

Genial!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails