Wednesday, August 07, 2013

a peek inside my sketchbook- dark backgrounds

My latest class Summer Sketch is well underway (it's not too late to join in) and I had so much fun creating this class! It is 30 days (or 30 posts) of simple, approachable sketching inspiration, techniques and prompts to get you inspired to sketch all summer (or any time of year)! While I cannot give everything away from the class, I did think it would be fun to share a peek into one of my favorite SIMPLE techniques from Summer Sketch.

I get pretty bored drawing on a white page so I like to mix it up and paint my pages with dark color and then draw over the top. I simply paint a light layer of dark acrylic paint (I typically a Strathmore all purpose sketchbook).

Once the pages are dry I use a variety of light colored pens and pencils for drawing. My favorite to use are Sharpie paint pens. I love working with light on dark because it challenges me to tackle even the simplest of subject matter in a creative way!


13 comments:

Meghan Thimjon said...

Love!!!

Melanie said...

Loveley.
Liefs, Melanie

Suman Pandit said...

Love all,blue and white the most!!
http://www.kalasirjana.blogspot.in/

dawn said...

WOW, LOVE this so much! Painting on black is one of my favorites too. Those sharpies are amazing aren't they. Beautiful!

How cute the post is below, little Lucy is loving paint just like her mama.

HollyM said...

These are beautiful! I'm really enjoying the Summersketch class!
I've discovered that even though my local store doesn't have the pens,they can order them.

jabbott said...

Gourgeous work x

Shalini said...

Oh! its beautiful. Thanks for the inspiration :-)

Amy H said...

do you use oil based or water based paint pens? I've been trying with oil based but they seem to absorb into the paper so easily that the ink disappears!

BecauseHope said...

Thanks for the sneak peek! These designs would make really fun textiles!!

Unknown said...

Loving your class and the dark backgrounds!

Mila said...

Beautiful, i love it. Hughs

alexa said...

Very beautiful they are too ... I love the white and gold. Ust see if we have Sharpie paint pains available over here.

Holly H said...

any suggestions about the SHARPIE white paint pens? I find that they don't do well over acrylic paints? any hints.....many thanks, I just love surface design....it is so mesmerizing...and soothing.
Holly H

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails