Wednesday, June 19, 2013

how does your garden grow?

One of the items on my bucket list has been to grow food in a garden. My mom is an amazing gardener and I have watched and envied her gardens for years and I have been dreaming about the day when I could walk out into our yard and pick herbs and vegis for our cooking. With our move back to Oregon we were able to make this dream come true and over the last month have SLOWLY started the process of landscaping our 1/4 acre lot. 

The first project to tackle (this year) was the front yard. Since our soil is very rocky and full of clay we decided to built some raised bed planter boxes for our edible garden. We have the perfect spot next to driveway that gets lots of sun and was just begging for a little raised bed garden. 

My husband Andy (the brains and the muscle) got to work making the raised beds. Here is a look at the plans that he drew up for our project-



We have been filling the planter boxes with edibles and I've had to do a little moving and shifting of things that we grow because these guys (below) and their friends (that live in in our neighborhood) ate our first harvest of kale, lettuce and arugula. I knew it was risky to grow all the greens without netting but I had to try!

We went back to the drawing table and our solution was to built some smaller planter boxes for our deck where we have moved all of our lettuce and greens and kept more of the deer proof plants in the front- but when you live with deer you learn that nothing is really seems to be deer proof!


While everything is still in the beginning stages, things are doing well (gardening can be tricky on the coast) we've already been able to harvest lots of herbs for cooking, lettuce and kale! I can't wait to see how our garden grows as summer progresses! We'll keep you updated so stay tuned!




LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails