Friday, February 10, 2012

fashion friday- turban headbands

h
IMG_2591
I have been growing my hair out for what seems like years (finally its all grown out!) and a couple of years back I started making turban style headbands so that I could wear my hair back (during that "in between stage") while making a fashion statement. And for the last couple of years I've been receiving TONS of inquiries about how I create them. So I have FINALLY put together a little tutorial on how I make them and wear them!


h
1. I always use jersey fabric because its nice and stretchy. I've had the best luck with using men's size large t-shirts because the width of the t-shirt perfectly wraps around my head twice OR once in a while I'll upcycle something that I have on hand- like this striped maternity dress. 2. I cut wide strips about 8-10 inches wide. I make use of the seam already sewn into the garment.

photo (26) copy
You can get three wide head bands from a mens size large t-shirt

IMG_0957 copy
4. I cut 2-3 strips (which becomes the headband) so I can layer them together.


i
To wear I start by wrapping it around my head twice and then I layer the 2nd and 3rd once the same way. This creates nice volume and is the key to creating the look of a turban.

IMG_2600
There are all kinds of ways to wear the turban headband- with your hair pulled back

s
or over your forehead

IMG_2603
you can pull all your hair up into it and even layer different colors or styles-


c
like braiding the jersey or creating rosettes

IMG_2610
IMG_2604
however you choose to wear your headband- its the perfect solution for a bad hair day, growing your hair out or a chic alternative for styling your hair!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails