Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Recycled Bunting Flags


Yesterday was my husband's birthday but in our house we celebrate birthdays for the WHOLE entire week! I decided that creating colorful bunting flags for our celebrations were a must and of course I had to make them out of recycled materials.



Do those business reply mail cards in magazines annoy you as much as me?!? Well, for months and months I have been saving every single card that falls out of a magazine with the plan to make something out of them- this flag project was perfect opportunity to put them to use.



I started by painting the cards with a quick coat of acrylic paint (on both sides).


While the paint was still wet, I added pattern by stamping and painting simple designs on the surface.


Once the paint was dry I cut the cards into triangles and small rectangles.


Then I sewed the flags together with a straight stitch, leaving a little extra room in between each flag.


I sewed 4 strands (measuring roughly 5 ft long)


and hung them all over the dining room.






They are so pretty and fun I might just have to keep them up year round!





LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails